Chapter Ten

Hook helped Wendy out of the boat, but her grip was loose, she was pulling out of his hand before he had even grasped it.

"How do I know what the treasure will look like?"

"You'll know," Hook said, he gave her a small push, "Better start looking."

He folded his arms as she cautiously walked away.

"Captain," Smee said slowly, "I don't remember you leaving any treasure around here."

Hook grinned, "She's it."

Wendy wanted to run; she felt that if she ran she would at least accomplish something. That wasn't an option though, seeking treasure took a keen eye, and all she had was the moonlight that seeped between the trees. The smells bombarded her, so many even in the dark. Scents of midnight flowers, the dew beginning to form, the dirt that clung to her shoes, the leaves that brushed her face, they all had a distinct smell. The silence of the island brought out the smells. Her feet crunched against the soil, she knew if anyone was here, they could hear her. She had no reason to be quiet, she thought, but in the back of her mind lay many reasons why it would be safer to.

She had no clue where to start. The trees and plants seemed to mock her, the darkness enveloped her. She seemed to be looking for hours, she had no clue what the treasure even looked like! She looked under leaves, and climbed a few trees, and once nearly fell into an almost invisible river. A fairie had flown by her and gave her a moment of light, and then sending her back into darkness. She was certain a lost boy or an Indian would appear soon, but she was very much alone.

Or she thought.

"Miss Darling," Hook said, his teeth white against the night, "How goes the search?"

"Fine," she said stiffly, "What do you want?"

"Just to see how you're doing. Would you like a clue to where the treasure is?"

"I don't need one; I think I've almost found it."

"Really?" he said amused, "I doubt it. I am willing to give you a clue, the sun gets closer every moment."

She flinched, "I still have time."

"Am I that repulsive to you?" he sighed.

"No," she shook her head, "But I can't allow myself to be near you."

She walked away from him, still searching the darkness.

"It's closer than you think," he called, "It's the best treasure in my possession."

She continued walking hoping to find something, anything at all. Neverland was full of adventures, how hard was it to find a simple treasure chest?

The roar of running water filled her ears and she began to move faster. It wasn't much, but it was something to go on. She tripped a lot, even with the pants on, and hit her face against the branch, but found the waterfall.

She was right next to the ledge where the water fell, one more step and she would have fallen into the water and down with the rocks.

The water seemed to have thousands of glittering diamonds sparkling up and giving off silver light. It was completely breath taking; the water's light seemed to sing to her. The water flowed so smoothly, almost as if it were too pure to flow any other way. The glowing shine that was emitted bathed the ground around it in a almost heavenly light. If this wasn't the treasure, she didn't know what it could be.