Chapter 19

A few dayslater Wendy was rocking back and forth with a small boy in her lap, his face covered in tears.

"Mother," he sobbed holding onto her tightly.

"Don't worry," she said softly, "It was an accident."

"So scary," he trembled, and Wendy felt her own eyes tear up.

"He can't be so scary," Wendy said helplessly.

"Hook," the boy cried, "Hook..."

Peter flew down, and his face filled with confusion, not at the boy, but at Wendy, he always forgot she had grown, but after a moment or two he recognized her. Then back to his duty as Peter Pan, glared at the boy.

"Why are you crying?"

"Hook!" the boy shouted, his face red.

"Hook and his crew found him," Wendy said trying not to let the guilt slip into her voice, her eyes stayed on the floor as she spoke, "They frightened him is all, he's alright."

Peter sniffed, disgusted, "Hook. What did he do to you?"

"Grabbed me! Took my map!" the boy shouted.

"Map?" Peter asked, and then it dawned on him, "The maps! Foolish boy!"

Peter gave a final angry glare and jumped into the sky, just as the other boys came back down.

The small boy's tears tried up and he jumped up, rubbing at his eyes, "They cant see me!" he said quickly, and then began to chat animatedly with the others.

Wendy left, sadness clear in her eyes, and went down to the Neverland floor. As she walked she thought of Hook, how she missed him, needed him, and was suddenly ashamed of him.

"You're upset," a voice said and she spun around to see Hook.

"You should focus more on your ship and less on following me around," she snapped.

Hook gave her a curious look, "You're tense."

"Bloody right I'm tense!" she almost shouted, "I've spent the past few days with wild boys, wondering why I'm even there! Then you frighten a poor child, a little boy! Of course who had to comfort him? His mother! Me! I had to be there for him, listen as he cried about seeing you! And I had to act like I hated you. Now it might be true."

Hook's eyes searched her face, now nearly crying.

"Wendy," he said softly, "You agreed to this."

"I know!" this time she yelled, clenching her fists, "I know."

She started to walk away, but he followed her, "If you want to quit then quit, I'm not keeping you here."

"Yes you are," she mumbled and the gave him a seething look, "I'll go through with this, but don't come back; I can't look at you right now."

"What's that supposed to mean?" he growled.

"I just... I just can't!"

He grabbed her shoulder and pressed her up against the tree, his eyes blood red, "If you were anyone else I would have you flogged!"