Chapter Twelve

Wendy sat on the floor in front of one of Hook's bookcases, a simple dress on with the bottom spread out around her. She would pick out a book and feel the cover, reading the title and then put it back gently, continuing to search through the shelves.

"Feeling better?" Hook asked when he stepped in his cabin.

"Much," she said still distracted.

He watched her continue what she was doing for a few seconds and then walked over to her.

"Exactly what are you doing?"

"Looking," she said simply.

"Haven't you looked at my bookcase enough already?"

"It's fascinating to me," she said looking at him now, a small smile playing around her lips.

"You'll have to tell me the types of books you like over dinner tonight."

Her stomach clenched in nervousness, "Tonight," she repeated and nodded, then turned back to the book shelf.

"Is there something in particular you're looking for Miss Darling?"

"No," she said taking out a book, "Just browsing. Is there something you needed Captain?"

He smirked, "I can't come into my own cabin any more?"

She shook her head, "What are you here for?"

He seemed slightly offended and defensive at the same time and gave her a small glare, "I don't need to be outside all day."

She laughed, "Fine then, don't tell me," she stood up, the pain in her side dull now, "I'm going outside."

She started to walk past him when he took a step in front of her and gave a seductive smile.

"Ah," she said understanding, "I know why you're here."

He gave a low laugh, "Just making sure you're coming to dinner."

"Where else would I go?" she asked somewhat annoyed, "Now let me pass."

Hook laughed, "As you wish," he said slowly stepping aside.

She gave him a haughty look and opened the door. Sunshine flooded around her and she could feel the heat soak into her skin. Some of the men were cheering and shouting by the mast and her confusion spiked as she started to walk over.

"Hold on," Hook said touching her shoulder, "You'll get a better view with me anyway."

"What's going on?"

"They're going to race up the rigging," Hook said walking forward, "The men are taking bets."

The crew saw him coming and split up so he could stand in the middle. Wendy had tried to fade into the background with the other men, but Hook looked over his shoulder and motioned her to him. At first she stood still, trying to see if he would give up, but he just rolled his eyes, and one of the crew members pushed her forward. She stumbled, but righted herself and set a quick glare at the man. He smiled and shrugged.