Chapter 17

Hook wasn't surprised in the least that he had turned out to be the jealous type . In fact he expected it, and the moment he took Wendy out of her bed on her birthday he knew he would let no one else have her. He knew his crew wouldn't dare touch her, but just to see them smile at the wanting way or watching her walked, he fault the urge to jam his hook into their throats. Of course he couldn't, and their lust worked to his advantage, yet he had caught nearly every pirate on board gazing at what belonged to him! Even Smee, the old man that he was, would have a foolish grin hanging from his face when Wendy came into their sights. Today she had worn her pirate attire, and not to say it didn't please him, it pleased him very much actually, he just would rather his crew not enjoy it as much as he did. He convinced himself that it was the fact that so few women were aboard, that the men just needed their fill, but never had he seen such a devoted ship. It bothered him.

He was a possessive man, and although Wendy constantly reminded him she was not something to be owned, he couldn't help to think he had earned her, that she was his. Neverland would let him have her; the island enjoyed the conflicting emotions within Hook when he thought of Wendy. How he shouldn't need her like he did, how the thought of staying with her made him shift in his chair, but the thought of leaving her made him hold her closer. He did not want to give himself away, but he knew Wendy had him now; he belonged to her just as much as she did to him.

Again, it bothered him.

If he had to admit it, which he wouldn't, it more than bothered him. It infuriated him.

Wendy actually felt many of the same feelings for Hook, she of course wanted to stay with him, but then again, how could she? He had taken her from home into this ageless land, where she knew things would change one day. He was known to all as the cruel pirate captain, the hunter of lost boys, a man with no heart. She felt the heart beating now against her bare back, the pace was slower now, a steady thrum that she could almost hear. She was leaving in a few hours, early morning, and for now they just lay silently, thinking only of each other.

"You're beautiful," he whispered suddenly into her ear.

"You," she said turning around to look him in the eye, "need to stop making this sound like a final farewell. I'll be back soon."

"I know," he said smiling and kissed her forehead, "I would rather you stay with me though. I was foolish to make such a promise."

"But you still want Peter," she said with a forced laugh.

"Don't talk of the boy," he said covering her mouth with his hand, "He is not allowed in our bed."

"Our bed is it?" she said moving his hand.

He didn't say anything for a few moments, making her feel as if she had made a mistake. Finally he nodded.

"Our bed."

When Wendy looked into the still dark sky, her eyes straining against sleep, she felt as if this marked something new. But what could be so new in Neverland? Very little changed here, only her presence and the swapping of lost boys ever made a difference, and a very small one.

"Remember what we spoke of," Hook's voice said invading her thoughts.

"I know what to do," she snapped, feeling guilty for her tone afterwards.

Hook felt tense as well. He felt as if her trip will give him a chance to clear his thoughts and get his priorities in order. It was all so complicated to him, how one person could be so important to him, but he knew that no one could be close to a person like himself. It would mean he had something to loose, and Hook had nothing to loose but his life, and even that had been lost before.