Chapter Eleven

Peter Pan flew down to the floor of Neverland artfully, even injured. His new fairie waiting on a leaf for him her name wasn't Tinkerbell, but he insisted on calling her that, and she was so taken by him she soon began to believe it was her own name. He kneeled on the ground holding his chest in pain, and his ankle seeping small amounts of blood. The little fairie flew around him nervously and he waved her away.

"I'm fine Tink, I'm fine."

He really was. It was nothing deep, he had received much worse. He was more worried about how close Hook had gotten to his hideout. If there was one thing Peter didn't like, it was Hook, but for Hook to be so close to his lost boys, that was something that he hated. Peter would protect his lost boys till the death, and if Hook came in the way between their safety, Peter would stop that. To Peter, Hook's very presence was danger. He was an adult, and to put him in good light might make the lost boys feel the need to grow up, and that's exactly what Peter was protecting them from. They couldn't grow up, to do so was a fate worse than death.

Then there was the new pirate. A girl, that in itself was strange, Peter thought. He didn't mean to hurt her like he did, but something in him felt betrayed when the rock hit his head. She looked so familiar, he felt a horrible surge of jealousy that she was with Hook.

Of course these feelings didn't last long, before Peter could renew his vow of revenge on the two pirates, the whole thing had been forgotten. He heard a lost boy call and flew off to play whatever game the lost boys had planned. He could think about revenge later, his life was long ahead of him, he had plenty of time.

888

Hook stayed very close to Wendy, he had been a pirate long enough to be able to heal Wendy himself, with very little help to the now useless doctor aboard the ship. When she had closed her eyes back on the boat, Hook was sure he had lost her. He had lost what mattered most to him because of Peter, and he vowed that Pan would not live long enough to find out if his handiwork proved fatal. But she was breathing; her eyes had fluttered open for a moment and then back shut. When she opened her eyes it was as if the weight had been lifted of his heart and he could finally breathe again.

Until now. The moment he was sure she was better; Hook realized what he had said to her, he had let his feelings be known to a girl he was sure cared nothing for him! A girl, he might add, wanted nothing more than to be off his ship. Though he couldn't allow that, for one she was still too weak to leave, and another, he couldn't bear to watch her walk away, and also, and what he told himself should be most important, his men would think him weak, he had at least given her the small room connected to his. A bed was placed inside, the window had the boards taken off, the dust was swept away, and it was entirely livable now. He even put a rug over the trapped door. She was still knocked out when some of his men gently carried her to her new room, with his supervision. Smee would watch her when he attended to his mandatory Captain duties, but the moment she began to speak, he would not set another foot in that room, not one foot.

And he was true to his word.

When Wendy woke up only a day later, she saw the Captain in the corner, his back leaning against the wall, his blue eyes watching her intently.

"Where am I?" she asked, wincing in pain as she tried to sit up.

"Don't do that," he said crossly, "You'll make it worse. You are in your new room, and thanks to your precious Pan, you are very much an invalid for the upcoming days."