Prologue

Every time I head into the diner I worked nearly all day serving either patient angels or impatient assholes breakfast, lunch, and dinner...

I think of him.

Tall, muscular, dark haired mess with deep ocean blue eyes, and a jawline that can slice through steel. He's like an impatient asshole. But cut out impatient.

He acts like that around his group of friends who are also butts yet beauties. Almost every week they and more people would come over, turn up the old jukebox and trash the diner. But on days like Monday or a Wednesday he would come alone and get a milkshake.

....milkshake

"Get me a combined milkshake: double chocolate banana strawberry vanilla swirled milkshake with whip cream and a cherry on top please."

I hate that Make Your Own Milkshake crap on the menu.
But Nicole, it's your first day of your senior year in a new school and a new town. Your suppose to be happy that it's your last year of high school to just breeze through. You don't have to work all day at the diner, and you won't have to see that boy again.

So don't think about what happened during the summer.

I take a look at myself in the mirror. Messy midnight bun, plain navy blue crop top, ripped skinny jeans and some already smudged Vans. I load my backpack with the binders and single pack of mechanical pencils I can afford for classes. I look around my bedroom/kitchen/living room to check if I need anything else. Out the door I go to hell.

Walking alone is the only option I have right now. It takes me 30 minutes to catch up with other strangers heading to Northway High School. Cars are already parked and more teenagers come out and crowd the hallways. I make my way to the front office to receive my schedule. First period Math.

So far so good. No one's not bothering me, so I think I can manage through the day. I plop down carelessly in a desk near the back, but then hiss when I feel a pain in my back come to me. "Thought it would go away, but guess not," I whisper. I ease the pain to then find out that I already have some eyes lay upon me. Shouldn't have done that.

"You okay?"

I turn my head to the left where I see a pair of them looking at me. She has natural curly hair, and wears light blue jeans and a yellow top that compliments her caramel skin. Her dark green eyes really pop out with the gold frame glasses she has on as she has that concerned look on her face.

"Oh yeah I'm fine," l finally answer. "Just.. back problems. Book bags these days..."

She nods. "I feel ya. Let's hope that your back hasn't give up already. I know mine has because someone keeps jumping on my back like I'm a tackling dummy..." she stares at a guy in front of her, who turns around to face us.

He has ombré hair and pretty chocolate eyes, looking casual wearing a plain fitted gray T-shirt and blue jeans.
"Hey, they're called 'piggyback rides'. Get it right." He scoffs.

"Whatever." She rolls her eyes and looks back at me. "I feel like I've seen you around town. Name's Naomi. And this is Ashton."

I greet them with a smile. "Nicole. And yeah, I work at the diner nearby. I just moved to this town this summer, so I'm new here..." We start to have small talk about life and what we like to do. Naomi seems like a really chill girl, and Ashton is the guy who likes to goof around, but is also chill when he needs to be. At least I made some friends. Mom and Dad would've been happy.

Naomi and Ashton were talking about their own thing, and next thing you know I feel a presence come into the classroom that I had to see who it was.

Please someone smack me.

Tall, muscular, dark haired mess with deep ocean blue eyes and a jawline that can slice through steel.

That can slice through me.