Chapter 30

We park in front of a restaurant I immediately knew what. I see its red beaming sign illuminating above me.

Susie's Diner.

I smile to myself as I hop out the car, but my feet doesn't land properly on the ground. I almost trip. I guess I'm still a little dizzy from earlier.

Why does it feel like it's been so long since I've been here? Like making the milkshakes, serving them, and cleaning the tables were so long ago? It's only been a day.

I turn to Ethan after he steps out of the car. "I wonder why you pick this place," I smirk.

"YuP." Ethan pops the P and drops his arm around me. His weight is heavier than the other times he's put his arm around me. He must be drunk. "Guysss. This is where our Nicole worksss. They got the good schmit here."

"You work here?!" Liam asks, surprised.

"You work?!" Amaya asks louder. She looks at the establishment and back at me, bewildered. She then frowns. "You poor thing."

I blink at her. I almost forgot that these were my friends from New York, friends when my family was rich like them. They have the money, enough to not work in their high school year and college years. They just sit and relax. "Hey, it's not that bad," I reassure her. "I like working here. There are nice people here." I think about Chloe and her ambitious attitude for this diner. If I already said I admire her, then I'm saying it again. "And it's like Ethan said: we have really good food and milkshakes here.

"Well what are we standing here for?" Ben literally falls out the drivers seat, face first. "Let's get sum schmit."

"Ben... you, Amaya, and Ethan are too drunk and high to go in a public place right now." Justina gets out of the car like a normal human being. She, Liam, and I drank a little water before leaving the apartment, so we are closer to sober than the other three. "Let's wait five minutes—" but it's too late. Ben and Amaya are already inches away from the entrance. "God dammit."

"I just hope they fall in a booth." Liam takes Justina's hand and they walk inside behind them.

"What are we waiting for, Sunshine?" Ethan starts moving to the open door Liam is holding for us, and pushes me with him. "I'm hungry."

We make it inside, feeling the gush of air conditioning you always feel. I look at the red cushioned seats, the black and white tiled flooring, and the 90s decor on the wall. I look at the jukebox while it's playing its jazz music, the type of music Chloe and I always turn to if no one's messing with it.

I look straight in front of me behind the counters. I thought I'd see the milkshake station where I'm usually at, but someone's standing in front of it, facing me.

He looks around my age. He wears the uniform for Susie's Diner men: a pastel pink shirt with black and white checkered waistcoat and bow tie, and black jeans. It looks tight and fitted on him, since he's built with muscle.

The white waiter hat sits on his messy dark brown hair. I scan his straight nose, high cheekbones, sharp jawline, his whole defined structure... his familiar face...

His ocean blue eyes.

...Oh my god.

I glimpse at the name tag on his uniform. My thoughts read correct.

Malachi Reid.

Why is he in that uniform, standing behind the counter? Why is he here working at Susie's Diner? What is this emotion I'm feeling right now? I can't explain it when I'm near him. Why does it also feel like I haven't seen him for a long time? It's only been a day.