Chapter 10

Has anyone ever told you that they'll always be there for you? Whenever you're in trouble, they'll somehow be exactly where you are and save the day, saying I'll always be your knight in shining armor?

Would you believe that?

Would you believe they'll always be there? Would you take it to your head, and look at it as a promise?

I wouldn't. I've been taught that.

It hurts my head to try to remember something so long ago, but I remember my dad telling me to not believe in promises or deals, and just go on and do things on your own. Don't make any  yourself, because you never know if you're going to break it yourself. Only keep a few people close to you, because you can't trust everyone. I didn't know why he said that. He probably had some trust issues in the past. But after he told me that I didn't make any promises or believed them, and kept a few people close to me, including my parents and Mr. Matthew the butler. But.. they're gone. My parents at least. I don't know where Mr. Matthew and.. my other friends are.

But somehow I'm believing in what Malachi said. And I'm taking it to my head as a promise.

He's actually been there. He saved me twice from trouble, first from drowning, and now by dealing with that guy for me. Twice he said he would be my knight in shining armor, and twice he did. He hasn't let me down... yet.

All I do is smile at him.

"Look what you did, Alice!" exclaims Jace. "You're spider legs always get in the way."

"Spider legs?" She questions. "My legs are not hairy! I shave every week so there wouldn't be a centimeter of hair sticking out!"

"Not all spider legs are hairy. They're just long and creepy and—"

"That's not the point." barks Malachi in his death tone and glare. He turns away from me and to Alice with almost the same amount of hatred he can melt into his glare as Noah can. "Alice, what the hell is with you?"

Alice's eyes widen by the look. But shortly after she gives Malachi her own death glare. "What's with you, Malachi? You don't know anything about Nicole, but you side with her?"

"I would side with anyone but you."

"Why you—"

"That's enough," Chloe interrupts coldly. "It's Alice, isn't it? Either you or one of your friends pay for the food, and leave. You caused enough disruption in the diner. I don't want you to come back here for a while. So get the hell out. Before I physically kick you out myself." Chloe's own cold look like she means serious business. I look around. The customers are looking at the situation concerned and some are shaking their heads, like they should pay for whatever they have ordered and leave right away. Problems like this makes us lose customers, which Chloe hates. She wants this diner to be successful, and for families to enjoy the breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If I only I can experience that with my family again—

"You know what? We're THROUGH, Malachi!" yells Alice, interrupting my thoughts. She picks up her purse and stomps straight out the doors of Susie's Diner. Malachi just stands there and rolls his eyes, uninterested in Alice's cry at all. Everyone that was in the booth with Alice gets up and leaves behind her. Everyone except for that Salvatore girl for some reason.

"Well, someone's gotta pay," she says, taking out two twenty dollar bills out of her purse. "Keep the change." She gets out of the booth slowly and stretches. Something about her gives me the chills, that I should watch out for her. For the past week she's also been keeping an eye on me for some reason. Did I do something to make her and Alice stalk me like I'm some prey? If it's that then I can't remember anything. Maybe my memory's getting worse.