Chapter 23

It's 11 pm.

And I still haven't left the Diner yet.

After the whole thing with Ethan, I took a break and hung out with my friends, giving Malachi his dance I promised. That made me more relaxed and cleared my mind, forgetting about Ethan.

But somehow more teenagers come in and fill the whole restaurant after all the normal customers left, including Mr. Matthew. He told me he'll try coming back soon, and I took his word.

The jukebox is back to bursting out loud music and most of everyone's out of their seats, dancing, trashing the diner. And I just cleaned the floors and tables...

Blame it on Jace.

"The diner is suppose to be closing now," mutters Chloe impatiently, gritting her teeth. "What the hell, Jace." She glares at the blonde who's currently sitting on the jukebox, chugging down a bottle of beer... which he and couple other guys bought from a store a few blocks down. I don't even want to know how they managed to buy it, considering they're underaged.

"This has been fun, but I wanna go home, Netflix is calling me," says Naomi, slouching in a stool. "This basically became a boy's hangout. The whole basketball team is here. And two more basketball teams from two different schools are here, too."

It's true. All the girls left an hour ago, and more boys filled their spaces. Jace is still on the jukebox, Malachi is laughing his ass off with a couple of guys in the corner booth, sneaking glances to me every dang second, and Noah and Ashton are stuck in the middle of it on their phones. The only girls here are me, Chloe, Naomi, and Ashley... who's in the eye of the hurricane, shaking her hips and butt. "Ashley's having a great time."

"She is a party animal." I chuckle. I turn to Chloe. "What do you wanna do?" I'm not sure if she's up with this. Suddenly a few guys from Malachi's booth wave one of their hands toward us with the menu in their other. It looks like they wanna order.

Chloe closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. Dark circles lay under her eyes, proof that she's had a long day of work, and with college too, I suppose. I admire her for keeping up with this.

She opens them back up, her icy blue eyes filled with determination. "This. Is business. Thankfully the cook is still here. I'm giving these people till midnight on the dot. Get ready for a ton of orders. Don't give them discounts or anything. They will pay for all of this." She pulls out her notepad and pen, walking to the booth with confidence. I watch as the guys read out food and milkshakes from the menu. Chloe scribbles down the orders, having to flip to the next page.

I take out my notepad and pen. "I gotta help Chloe. What are you gonna do, Naomi?"

Naomi tilts her head back to glance at Ashley once more, who's busy grinding against a random guy. We both know she's not gonna stop anytime soon. "Need any assistance?" She asks.

As she said that more and more hands shoot up from all around the diner. "We really need it," I say desperately.

"Well, I guess I'm a waitress for the hour." Naomi stands, and I hand her her own notepad and pen. "Expect to be payed by the end of my shift. Cuz' your girl is broke." I breathe out a chuckle as she walks off to the other side of diner.

I stay behind the counter, making the milkshakes and giving off the orders to the cook. I smile at his complaining of people still being here after hours, and why he decided to stay behind to help us kids. All I know is he's only staying for the cooking, but when we have to clean the place, he's outta here.

I mind my own business, topping off a chocolate banana milkshake with a cherry. I smile at the beverage, feeling like this one of my best milkshakes yet. I turn around and shout out the order, but I jump, almost dropping the perfection when I see Malachi sitting in a stool. He finds it amusing.