Chapter 4

I step into Susie's Diner ready to get the day over with, heading straight into the back to place my school things down and to put on my uniform and name tag. It's a chill Tuesday afternoon, so the diner isn't that crowded. My eyes keep glancing at door, like they're expecting a certain someone to come in. But I don't want to see him, Nicole, so get to work.

Someone does enter the diner, but it's not a pair of ocean blue eyes, but a pair of blue gray ones. My eyes widen as it took a second to remember her name.

"Chloe!!" I exclaim, giving her a hug.

"Hey, girl! How's it going?" Her strawberry blond waves flow down mid waist. She's already wearing her uniform. "Today was the first day of hell? How was it?"

"Ok. I made some friends and saw some... familiar faces."

"Uh-huuuuh..." An eyebrow raises. "Familiar faces?"

I nod. "The guy I through milkshake on... Malachi. And his two friends- Jace and.. Noah- who he always hang out with."

"Oooooh," She slurps on a blue raspberry slushy. "The threesome."

I laugh. "Yeah, sure."

"And your new friends?"

"A girl name Naomi and a guy name Ashton. Cool peeps."

"Cool beans."

She throws the now empty slushy cup into the trash and starts working. I do the same.

I hear the ring-a-ding of the entrance and say the usual welcome to Susie's Diner. I look up to the costumer, and stop mid-smile when I see a familiar pair of ocean blue eyes and dark hair.

Malachi comes in alone, having a book-bag hanging on his left shoulder. His eyes roam around the diner until they gracefully land on me. His smile makes his way to the corners of his face as he slides his way pass me into the booth I just cleaned in front of me. At that moment I could smell a good cologne.

"Hey, Milkshake," he beams. He glances at his watch tied around his right wrist. "I hope I'm not too late. You'll still be around?"

"Sadly, yes." I take out my pen and notepad. "What would you like?" Please don't say that stupid dumb double strawberry banana vanilla chocolate—

"A Nicole."

My heart flutters when he said that he wants an Oreo milkshake. But my mind thinks that he wants a person; a Nicole with hair as the color of the midnight sky, eyes as green as fresh grown grass, olive skin and a body that knows the guys fall for. But a Nicole that's broken. Me.

NO. NO. He wants the milkshake. Not you. Why would anyone date you? You threw a whole bunch of milkshake on him. You're nothing.

"One Nicole, coming right up," I try to say positively. "Not getting your usual creation today?"

Malachi shakes his head. "Don't wanna make you stress out all the time."

He cares about me? "That's... nice. Anything else?"

"That's it."

...

"Okay."

"Okay."