Chapter 6

"Where were you?" questions Naomi as we eat at our lunch table.  "You don't seem like the person to ditch the second day of school already, unless you already don't give a crap. And also Jace wasn't in homeroom too, which has been normal since junior year, but do you have any idea where he went?"

"You're not gonna ask about the other two?" asks Ashton.

"Why would I?"

Ashton scoffs and finishes his sandwich. "So, Nicole, explain your absence."

I sigh and munch on my chips. "Long story short, I woke up late, Malachi saw me and offered a ride to arrive on time, but he was an ass and went to Quick Trip instead, so I was stuck with him skipping homeroom. Jace and Noah were there too."

"What a baaad girl," he teases.

"It's Malachi's fault," I say crossing arms. "Now, he's everywhere, and he won't go away. Last night, we..."

Naomi and Ashton turn wide-eyed. They look at each other, then back at me. "Nicole, you already did the didleydoo?" Naomi asks, shocked. Didelydoo? What's that— oh.

"NO. WE DIDNT—" I say that loud enough for people around us to turn and eye us like we're crazy. I lower my voice. "I didn't do the... didleydoo. I was going to say that we... had a moment at the diner. We danced, and it was actually... nice." My ears heat up.

"Ooooooh," say Ashton and Naomi, relieved. Then they smile. "Awwwwww."

"Yeah, yeah, so cute."  That wasn't me who says that, but someone behind me. I turn around and look up to see the same girl who ripped my loose sheet of beautiful doodles I sketched yesterday. She leans on one hip in black cutout heels wearing a high waisted navy blue pencil skirt that ends mid thigh with a floral top tucked in. Her light brown eyes hold a glare as she scrunches up her nose. 2 other girls stand the same way behind her.

I look around and people are starting to notice us and watch. My eyes shift to a specific table in the middle of the cafeteria to where the Three Musketeers sit and observe with curious faces, but one of them sits on the edge of the table like he's going to pounce if something goes wrong. Guess who.

I sigh and look up at this bitch. "What do you want?" What was her name again?

Her face turns into a grim smile. She hops on the table placing her feet on the seat next to me on my right. One of the other girls who has big blue eyes and brunette hair sit next to the girl and the other one with gray eyes and pale blonde hair sit on my left.

"So you've been hanging out with my Malachi, even after I told you stay away from him," she says. "You had a nice moment with him last night and now I heard that little old you spent the morning with him too. What. A. Dream." She fake smiles.

I keep munching on my chips. "Yeah, a dream you won't be living."

Naomi and Ashton chuckle in the background while the other girls glare.

The girl clenches her fist. "You're playing with fire, waitress." She says waitress loud enough for people to whisper about me.

"She's a waitress?"

"Yeah, I thought I saw her working at that diner in the city."

"Must be poor."

Like as if she won, she puts on a smug smile. What did she win?

"Alice, get off the table," whispers Ashton.

"Why should I listen to you?" She snaps.

"Because you're gonna break the table." deadpans Naomi, then she and Ashton burst into giggles and snickers.