Chapter 1

He walks in like the king of the class, wearing an opened red flannel over a white T-shirt, black jeans, and black and white Adidas. His smile opens to the world, and I see immediately all the girls glance in his direction, brainwashed by his perfect rows of teeth. He had a nickname, but I'll give him something new.

Right now Flannel Boy.

Behind him enter the two familiar faces I see with him all the time when he's at the diner. One with dirty blond hair and gray eyes, wearing a pastel blue tank top showing off his muscular arms that still glow from the artificial lights on the ceiling, light gray knee-ripped jeans and solid blue high-tops. From my perspective he's the goofball of the group that hits on any girl he passes and tries to get in bed with them. No STDs whatsoever.

Mr. No-Herpes.

The other one is the silent beauty who doesn't talk a lot. He has brown hair darker than Flannel Boy's to almost black and has thick black glasses over his hazel eyes, coming into the classroom wearing a black hoodie in September that has a snake wrapped around a rusty golden cress, dark blue jeans and white sneakers. Dark circles lay under his eyes, which somehow makes him a little more attractive.

Sir Sleepy Baby.

Flashbacks over the summer come tumbling down on me as I try not to think about it. So they, especially Flannel Boy, won't recognize me, I cover my face with my right hand.

"Oh look," Ashton whispers to me and Naomi. "The Three Musketeers have come." He says in a tone of hatred and giving them a death glare. I wonder why Ashton doesn't like them. It's like he's a whole new human when he gets upset. Naomi can already tell.

He then notices me, seeing that he still has the deadly look, but it fades away back into the Ashton I just met. "What's your excuse of trying to avoid them?"

"What? Avoid them? No... I don't even know them..." I'm too obvious and a terrible lier. I can already sense Ashton and Naomi's look plastered on their face, suspecting something suspicious from me.

"Mmmhhmmm," says Naomi, smirking at me. "Unless you're one of those girls and did the didley doo with one of them, then I don't wanna know. Keep in mind that you'll be sitting at lunch with us."

I smile, agreeing to sit at lunch with her and Ashton. I notice that she's been looking back and forth from us to where the Three Musketeers stand with another group. I try to see who she's specifically looking at.

Mr. No-Herpes.

She notices who I finally caught her sneaking glances at, and looks away blushing a little. Definitely sitting at lunch with them.

The teacher who looks like an old stressed out Mario finally comes in, and everyone takes a seat. Sir Sleepy Baby sits first at a desk out the trio.

Behind me.

If I think logically here, when there's a group of boys or girls that are inseparable and are the best of friends, they always try to sit near each other.

I look around, and there's an empty seat next me and another one behind that seat.

Why.

I still cover my face as I hear the footsteps of Flannel Boy and Mr. No-Herpes to my right. I don't want to know where Flannel Boy is sitting.

The teacher introduces himself as Mr. Mario (how ironic), and he begins roll call. I hear various voices of "here" and seeing hands go up from where I can view, including Ashton Bremings and Naomi Hartfield.

"... Nicole Miller..."

I raise my left hand and said a quick here while my right hand is still covering the sight of my right side. I try to remember the times whether Mr. No-Herpes or even Sir Sleepy Baby has said Flannel Boy's name. Was it Michael? Matthew?

"..Malachi Reid.."

"Here."

That's it. My heart skips a beat as I hear that deep here coming from my right. He's sitting next to me.

"... Jace Stephenson.."

"That's me!" He says, raising his hand. His voice comes from behind Flannel— Malachi's seat.

"...Noah Washington.."

"Here." The sluggish here comes from behind me. The Three Musketeers.

Mr. Mario's class goes on about his class rules and the usual first day of school stuff. I shift myself to get more comfortable when I heard something hit the ground.

My pencil. And it landed to my right.

I was about to use my feet to slide it to left when a bigger hand is already in the process of picking it up. He waits for me to take it out of my hands, so I unconsciously use my right hand to put it back on my desk. Shit.

I already feel his ocean eyes burning a hole through my head. I try to stay focus on the teacher, but it's tempting to look at him, so I give a glance.

He looks straight at me into my pure olive green eyes.

I would imagine his expression being really surprised that the girl who you encountered during the summer goes to the same school as you, or really pissed about that encounter with her.

But he just smirks

•••

Hey Wattpad readers, I hope you like My Waitress so far! Hope you keep reading!

- Mya