Chapter 2

I moved into the city not long into the summer. I was still traumatized and paralyzed by what happened. I was poor, and felt alone, and I didn't know what to do.

Until I started working there.

Susie's Diner, an old retro diner that's been here for more than 30 years. A Help Wanted sign was plastered on one of the glass windows, so I without hesitation went in the diner to apply for a job as a waitress.

I hear the ring-a-ding as I step in and take the view. Black and white checkered tiles lay under the red leather stools and booths scattered along the diner. A polished jukebox stands up against the wall to the far right next to the bathrooms. The counters stands in the middle with more red stools aligned with a register and a rectangle opening to see a view of the cooking in the back. It was beautiful.

I was greeted by a young woman who looked like she was in her early twenties, later being told that she's 21. Her strawberry blonde hair is tied in two buns with her bangs almost covering her blue gray eyes. Freckles cover her nose and cheeks as she smiles warmly at me, wearing what I suppose was the uniform for the diner: a pastel pink dress buttoned down the stomach with black and white checkered trimming like the tiled flooring, with a white apron tied along her waist with whatever shoes you wear. A name tag was shown on her uniform: Chloe Grace.

"Hello, there! What can I get for you?" She asked.

"A job." I deadpanned. Well that went well.

Chloe chuckled. "I guess you saw the sign on the window. Alrighty, let's get to it." She leaves the register and sits on one of stools, and I sat next to her.

"Name?"

"Nicole Miller."

"Age?"

"Seventeen."

"Can you balance trays with food and drinks?"

"I can manage."

"Can you make milkshakes?"

"I've been taught."

"Can you keep a smile on?"

"I can try."

"Can you deal with children?"

"Yeah."

"You're hired!!!" She exclaimed, giving me a congratulating hug. Wow.

"Wow, thank you," I said with glee. "I'll be looking forward to working here." Chloe gave me a uniform and said that I'll start following day, Friday.

Of course I tried to look presentable on the first day, combing my hair into a high ponytail, and wearing my uniform neatly. I served tables, balanced food and drinks on trays, and give smiles out to everyone. Along the way I talked with Chloe as much as I can. I learned so much about her, saying that she's goes to the state university studying writing, and that she's trying to write her first book. She also loves to do abstract and illusions in art, plays the piano, as is a fashion freak and a party animal. Even though she is 4 years older than me, it feels like she's my age, and I can relate to her in many ways and she'll understand. It feels like I have a sister... Family who would be here and stay with me when I needed them..

The clock strikes four.

"This is the time where the 'children' would be here," said Chloe. "Here they come."

Of course I thought she meant little hyper angels who eat the mini burgers off the kids menu and color the kids menu drawing page outside the lines with a red, blue, yellow, and green crayon giving no crap about the world.