:Chapter Sixteen:

"Excuse me." He said, taking in what I said as an insult. "I don't care. I'm just a passerby who felt like taking the responsibility to ask a classmate to go home."

I clicked my tongue and glared at him. "Teacher's pet."

That was meant to be a mumble but the way he looked at me, I think he heard me. He brought out his phone and dialed something.

"I'll call your house and tell them you're here." He said.

I stood up and bolted for his hand to snatch his phone. But because he's faster and taller, I wasn't able to snatch it from his hands. To make it even worse, I was jumping as high as I can because he raised his hand up so I couldn't reach his phone.

"Damn it!" I exclaimed, glaring into his green orbs.

Midorima-kun wore a poker face but his eyes said his true intention―mockery. He's making fun of me and it's irritating me.

I glared at him and attempted to jump again when he looked at me seriously, his dashing emerald green eyes stared right through me. His stares made me blush and felt uncomfortable but I kept my usual look.

"What?" I asked.

"You won't go home," He started. "for what reason?"

"Why do you have to know?"

"I'll really call your mom."

I instantly panicked as he brought his phone out again, dialing my mother's number. I tried to snatch it away but failed misserably so in the end I gave up.

"Okay!" I said. "I'll tell you. Just don't call my mother."

He nodded and took the swing next to where I was sitting, hiding his phone on his pocket.

"Don't comment while I tell my story." I said, glaring at him with fair warning.

"You scare me." He mocked and I just ignored.

I only glared at him. It was better to say nothing if I wanted this story to start and end quickly. So I internalized for a moment before I told him every single detail.

Before everything happened, we were a happy family. No problems. No saddness. Nothing. It was a life all children dreamt of having and I was really thankful for the life that was given to me.

My father was a rising basketball player when I was six. He loved basketball than anyone else. He'd play day and night; practicing to get better at what he loves. He enjoyed every part of it―the squeaky shoes, the boucing ball, the tall basketball net, his sweaty shirt. Besides, basketball was also the reason behind my parents' meeting.

But everything turned downhill when my father suddenly met an accident during a basketball match when I was nine.

"Stay here Miyuki-chan." Mama said as she stood up from where she was sitting. Panic was written on her face; her eyes focused on the basketball court where my father laid there in pain.

The sudden event didn't sink in properly and I only sat there, watching my father cry in pain. I saw my mother enter the court, rushing towards my father.

The image of my mother's crying face and my father's pained one stuck inside my head. I never thought that it was already the start of something really painful for me and my family.

They brought my father to the hospital after finding out that he needed to be tested. My mother and I waited for the results and the doctor said that the injury was great to the point that he can no longer play basketball. The stress of too much basketball was the main reason why he's foot gave up.

My mother went silent, slumping on the chair as she stared at nothing. Slowly tears fell from her eyes as I watched them both; my mother's crying face and the doctor's sympathetic stare. I was clueless and it just hadn't sinked in yet.

After my father found this out he hadn't been the same. Slowly the reality of not playing the game he loved took a toll on him and started to rampage.

He kicked, punched, and slapped my mother. He let out his frustration on the person who was always there―who always took care of him.

This kind of sight I've been seeing for almost seven years. Though it might sound impossible, it took this long for her to leave my father because 'she loves him'. A stupid reason to stay. I was able to persuade her after seven years and Ryu-san's helping us for that.

"Ryu-san?" Midorima-kun asked.

I nodded. "Ryuu-san as in Araki-sensei."

"How are you connected to him?" He further asked. "Is he a cousin?"

I shook my head and lowered my gaze as I remembered the past. "He's a neighbor in Akita and a person who idolizes my father."

The images of the three of us playing at a nearby court flashed inside my head. One of the memories I truly cherish. "We'd always be together and would be found at a nearby court. They'd teach me new moves and we'd play until dusk. It was really fun..." I trailed off as my eyes were suddenly filled with unshed tears.

My chest became heavy and it wa getting harder for me to breathe. Slowly, tears fell one by one and the area was filled with cries.

I hate my father, I hate the past. But there are some parts of the past I was thankful for that it happened.

And I know that the fact he's my father will never be erased.