19

I could not solve the crocodile problem which I had to shift to the top of my list. Andrew rode on Salzar and scanned the Nile while Slitzer searched through the water. They found nothing which was amusing since it was told that the crocodiles were relatively huge. After the relief attempt, I got bored and started to do my physics homework again but found that I could not concentrate. On top of that, I had no idea how we were going to capture the crocodiles once we did find them. Since Sobek was the crocodile god I decided maybe to ask him. But it was too late and I had to go home.

The first thing I did when I reached home was to slump on my bed and sleep. I didn't hear Mom come home and I didn't finish my homework. I got up at ten, ate dinner in front of the TV and dozed off again only to become late next morning.

Then I had to rush to school, almost missing the bus and found Andrew waiting by my locker.

'Cafeteria, lunch time,' he said and he walked away.

I had no idea why but I had my amethyst stone around my neck and I unconsciously rubbed it.

During the lessons, I worried about the crocodiles. I wondered how we can capture them. The first thing I wanted to do was to contact Sobek, but what if he was behind this all in the first place? There were rumors going around that he was to blame. Being a very overly anxious person, things like this hit hard for me. So basically, everything that was taught in front of me simply slipped through my mind.

'Amy,' said Isabelle. 'You seem distracted.'

'Me? No!' I Said. 'I'm just tired.'

'Stayed up late last night?'

I nodded. It was a pathetic lie.

Then during lunch, I found Andrew at our usual table.

'We can't just storm into Sobek's place and demand him to keep hold of the crocodiles,' said Andrew once I mentioned my idea. 'There is a great chance that he might feed us to them.'

'I know,' I said. 'But how else are we going to handle crocodiles? And trust me; I haven't seen much crocodile catching on the Discovery channel.'

'He is very moody and easily irritated and crocodiles are well, stubborn.'

'The whole city has noticed,' I said.

There was a silence. I lifted my head off my hand and looked at Andrew. 'So?'

'We need a plan,' said Andrew.

'Which is?'

'Would I bother to talk to you if I had a plan?'

'Oh,' I said. 'Isn't the Council doing anything about it?'

'They issued a warning not to go near the Nile,' said Andrew/

'Anything else?'

Andrew sighed. 'Amethyst, you are Queen. It's your responsibility. You plan, we execute. The others just follow your lead. The Council won't do anything without your permission and trust me, a lot of people are hoping you will fail. It's a single minded monarchial system going on in sightless right now.'

I gulped.

I felt even more stupid. I was definitely not someone to lead anyone and I was very lazy. I gave out a sigh. I guess I have no choice but to do something.

'I'll be there when school finishes,' I said.

'Do you have anything in mind?'

'Talking to Sobek,' I said. 'If he has something to do with this, we'll find out.'