Persephony and Hades

Selene

I started to dream another dream while I was

Knocked out. Another love story.

When the earth was still young, the gods of Greece lived on Mount Olympus. Demeter, goddess of the harvest, had a daughter. She was virtuous and a praised beauty of Olympus. Her name was Persephone.

Persephone, though she loved her home dearly, longed every day to see more of the world. Sometimes the constant attention of her mother would annoy her. She longed for freedom.

Persephone would sometimes go to a glade at the mountain's base. Her mother didn't know about this place and Persephone would go there for sanctuary and peace. It was the one place she could go to be alone. There she would sing and dance, bath in the clear stream, and climb the trees of the glade.

As the years past and she grew older, Persephone began to long for someone to share her life with. Her mother wouldn't talk to her of marriage, so she had resigned herself to a life alone. Love seemed to be something denied to her.

One day when Persephone was in her glade, Hades, the lord of the Underworld, saw her. Once in awhile, he would come up to see the things that belonged to the living ground. When Hades saw Persephone, he loved her...He loved her for her exquisite face, her lovely voice, and her daring spirit. He had heard of Persephone, but had never thought that someone could be so beautiful.

Hades knew her mother, Demeter, and he knew that Demeter would never give her daughter's hand in marriage to him. Yet Hades heart ached when he thought of going back to the Underworld without Persephone. He resolved to take her by conquest.

When Persephone looked up and saw Hades standing among the trees, she wasn't afraid. She was curious. She didn't know who he was. He was not mortal, but he didn't look like the other gods of Olympus. When his red eyes met hers, she felt a shiver run down her spine.

She stood and addressed him. "Who are you, sir, and what may I do for you?"

Hades was surprised, he thought she would have screamed or tried to run away when she saw him. Hadn't she heard of the King of the Underworld?

He came out of the trees and bowed, saying. "Milady, my name is Hades and I am Lord of the Underworld."

She smiled and nodded politely. "I am Persephone, daughter of Demeter." Then one of her arched brows went up in question and she asked. "If you are the Lord of the Underworld, then I have been warned about you."

Hades smiled. His smile was evil, though he couldn't help it. "About me, Persephone?"

She stepped away and took up the flowers she had picked before. "Not about you, exactly, but everyone says that men from the Underworld are not to be trusted."

"Who is 'everyone'? Hades asked, coming closer.

"Oh, Aphrodite....Athena...and my mother." Persephone replied nonchalantly.

"Mothers should always be trusted," Hades stated.

Persephone shrugged. "I don't know....Sometimes they can be quite dreadful!"

Hades put his hand under her chin and raised her face towards him. "Do you trust me, Persephone?"

Persephone stared at him for awhile, but then laughed. "No, not really!" She said.

Hades smiled. "Then if I wanted to abduct you, take you back to my home, and make you my queen...Would that surprise you?"

Persephone was surprised, but not for that reason. "Why would you want to abduct me?"