The One Where Chandler Needs A Favor

■●□○AUTHOR: SOFTIEJACE○□●■

Summary:

Chandler wants Joey to be his fake date to his mother's party. Joey secretly wants to be his real date. Unexpectedly, Chandler's clumsiness helps both overcome their inhibitions.
-
Basically, I just wanted to write them making out in the reclining armchairs, okay...

Work Text:

„Come on, Joey!"

„Nope."

„As a favor to me!"

„Not doing it."

„Not even for your best friend?"

Joey reclines his armchair slightly, turning his face away. "I'm not gonna be your pretend date to your mom's party."

„Oh for God's sake, you're an actor!"

"And you're not paying me."

Chandler stops making puppy eyes at him and stands up straight, sighing.

They've been arguing about this for ten minutes now, ever since Chandler's gotten off the phone with his mother. Like it's Joey's fault he couldn't find a girl to go with him. He won't be the butt of the joke; he simply won't. It's too close to what he really wants...

"Look. Joe," Chandler says, and Joey stares at his neckline, frowning. "My mom hasn't celebrated her birthday this big since dad left us. This is a big deal to me. Things have been going so well lately and I just... I don't wanna mess this up. I told her I had a date and I don't wanna disappoint her. If she finds out I'm still single, it's gonna confirm all her worries, like that my dad leaving the family permanently damaged me – which it probably did, of course, but..."

Joey raises an eyebrow. "And if you turn up with me, ya think that won't make her worry?"

"Okay, that's a valid question and I would've thought the same but, uhh, I... kind of told her I'm dating you."

Joey's breath falters. "...You what?"

Chandler starts pacing on the spot as he explains.

"She asked whether I was seeing anyone and I was being a little secretive because well, I'm not – but then she kept bugging me and suddenly she goes, 'Oh, I know why you're not telling me – you're seeing a man, aren't you!' And then she went on this ramble about how that's fine with her and she doesn't want my dad's failures to stand in my way and make me feel like I can't be myself around her, and this went on for so long she didn't even believe me afterwards when I told her I wasn't gay. Imagine that! My mother's convinced I'm gay!"

"Huh."

"So, uhh, yeah, when she asked who exactly it was, the first person that popped into my head was... you."

He looks apologetic now, and Joey can feel himself caving in. Maybe it's also got something to do with his party outfit. Because Joey's not going to lie, that suit looks good on him.

The reason he's refusing to play Chandler's date isn't because the thought repulses him. No, on the contrary – it's way too tempting. He's been thinking about Chandler that way for as long as he can remember and there've been times where he was almost sure Chandler felt the same, but the latter's daddy issues and problems with women have made him deeply repress whatever possibility the two of them could have. At least his mother seems to confirm Joey's hopes.

And now Chandler wants him to be his fake date. He wouldn't admit it, but it's tearing at his heart. Chandler means so much to him. He's his best friend, for heaven's sake. Joey doesn't mean to be dramatic – that just sort of comes with his profession – but he doesn't think he'd survive being turned down by Chandler Bing.