Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Holden

       While I was about to put on a shirt, I caught a glimpse in the mirror of the large bandage covering the wound on my stomach. Flashbacks of the attack from a few days ago started running through my mind and I was trying my best to forget them.

       I couldn't.

       I couldn't forget that fear I felt. The pain. The helplessness. Even with my brain damage and short-term memory loss, I remembered every single detail.

       And the details weren't enough for me to know who did it.

       I shook my head, putting on my shirt before walking out of the washroom. Shaw was in the kitchen, preparing a bottle for Gibson and when he saw me, he asked, "How are you feeling?"

       "I've been better," I said.

       "You know, I'm going to find out whoever did this and they will seriously regret it," Shaw said.

       "Shaw, don't," I said. "Just let the police handle it."

       "Let the police handle it?" Shaw repeated. "You mean the same police who was letting Roman get away with kidnapping you and Mercy, and for constantly harassing your best friend? The same police who let Hugh go when he barely served any time? Not going to happen."

       "Seriously, just stay out of it," I snapped.

       "What's up with you?" Shaw asked. "I thought you would want to find out who did this."

       "Yeah, but by the professionals, not by someone who is only going to lash out and threaten to kill who did it," I said.

       "Wow," Shaw said. "I'm glad you have faith in me."

       I sighed as Shaw walked into the living room to where Gibson was. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it."

       "You and I both know that you did," he said.

       "Well... What do you expect?" I asked. "You threatened to kill Hugh when he tried to kill me. This attack was a lot more violent and you can see the injuries on me. If that doesn't make you more mad than what Hugh did, then I don't know what will."

       "Exactly," Shaw said. "Someone attacked you, Holden. Why shouldn't I get mad and want to return the favour?"

       "Because you shouldn't be resorting to violence," I said. "You've worked way too hard to let that anger inside of you completely control your life. You can lose everything if you go after whoever did this to me and take matters into your own hands."

       Shaw just ignored me as he picked Gibson off of his playmat to feed him the bottle.

       "Shaw, come on," I said. "Once you know who did this and you confront them face to face, I know you're not going to be able to hold back on the anger. I don't want you to get involved."

       "You don't get it, do you?" Shaw asked. "You are one of the very few people that can calm me down. I could have lost you if Dan and Destiny didn't find you when they did. And if I lost you, that would make me go back to that dark place."

       "But you didn't lose me," I said.

       "That's not the point."

       "Then what is? Look, I'm really grateful that you'll do anything to protect me and make sure I don't get hurt but I can't have you do anything that could get you into a lot of trouble. Please just... Let the police do their jobs."