Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Shaw

       "Holden, are you sure you're fine staying here on your own?" I asked as I was putting on my shoes and jacket. I really didn't want to go out but he kept assuring that he would be fine, so I was giving him one last chance to tell me otherwise.

       "Yeah, I'll be fine," he said quietly. "Your dad really wants you all to have dinner together and I don't feel like going out anywhere. You shouldn't have to stay here because of me."

       "Holden," I said as I walked over to him and sat down on the couch. "I'm not going to leave you if you don't want to be left on your own. Just say the word and I'll stay."

      "Nothing will change if you do stay, though," Holden said. "I'll still feel this way. What caused me to feel this way won't change. You should really go be with your dad and sisters right now. And I promise if I do change my mind and wan't you to be here, I'll call you, okay?"

       "Okay," I said. "If that's what you want. But are you one hundred percent sure?"

       "Shaw, seriously, go," Holden said. "I'll be fine."

       I nodded and gave him a kiss before standing up from the couch and heading over to the front door. Before I left, I looked at my husband and said, "Holden? I love you."

       Holden gave me a smile, though it seemed very weak and forced. "I love you, too."

       I hesitated before leaving the house, closing the door behind me with a sigh. I really didn't want to leave Holden alone after the news he was given but he was insisting that I should really go spend time with my dad and sisters.

       I just hated leaving him right now.

       About a year ago, an explosion happened at the city hall while a lot of people were volunteering to help set up for a charity dinner. Many people were injured, but only two people lost theirs lives.

       One of who was Holden's uncle.

       It was almost the holidays and the Eatons lost one of their loved members. That was possibly one of the worst time you could lose someone.

       And now, it was happening all over again.

       His aunt Sharon was found dead in her home. By both of her sons.

       Clyde was so close to being sent over the edge, so I was worried about him as well. He was probably very close to resorting back to his dark ways.

       I really hoped that didn't happen.

       I was the last one to arrive at my dad's house and by the time I got there, dinner was all ready. It wasn't just my dad and my sisters here. Heidi's mom Nancy was here as well since I was certain she and my dad got back together.

       And along with her was Viola's boyfriend Virgil. I hadn't met him yet and if he was as annoying as her past couple boyfriends, I was just going to get up and leave.

       "Took you long enough," Dad said as he let me into the house.

       "Wow, sorry for being a good husband and making sure Holden was okay before I left," I said as I took off my shoes and coat. "I was even going to stay back but he convinced me to come."

       "Thankfully," Dad said. "And since Nancy is here, please don't start any arguments with Viola. Last time you met Nancy, all you and your sister did was argue."