Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Holden

       After all the confusing chaos that was happening, there was one thing I really needed to figure out. I just didn't get it at all.

       Why Declan did what he did when he wasn't the killer.

       I got to the police station and since Horatio was there, I talked to him about letting me see Declan. He agreed and led me to one of the rooms, telling me that he was going to bring Declan here. Declan was only staying in a holding cell since he was wrapped up in the crimes, but he wasn't the one committing them. There wasn't enough for him to go to prison yet.

       Declan wasn't telling Horatio anything though so clearly, Roman was holding something over him. I just hoped that know we knew it was Roman, Declan would talk.

       When Declan was led into the room, he first looked very confused to see me. But after he sat down across from me, he said, "Holden, I am so sorry for what happened in the forest. Believe me, I didn't want to kill anyone at all but..." He stopped talking.

       "We know who the true killer is," I said. "If you're not saying anything because of him, you can now."

       "Are you only saying that to get me to talk?" Declan asked.

       "What? No, of course not," I said. "I'm pretty sure it would have been a police officer, not me doing it. We really do know who it is. It's Roman, right?"

       After hearing the name, Declan sighed and placed his face in his hands. "I really am sorry for what happened," he said. "Roman made me do it, and he was even nearby watching to make sure I went through with harming one person."

       "He was?" I asked.

       "Yeah," Declan said. "Believe me, I didn't want to hurt anyone but... Roman told me if I didn't do it, then he was going to kill the mayor. Enzo was my grandfather's best friend, and he has always been like a grandfather to me ever since mine was killed. I couldn't let that happen. And I know that sounds horrible and selfish but..."

       "It doesn't," I said. "Well, it might sound selfish but I know a lot of people would have done the same to protect someone they love. I'm sorry for shooting you, by the way."

       "Don't be," Declan said. "It did stop anyone from getting hurt and because I did try to... to kill Shaw, Roman wouldn't kill Enzo."

       "Why did Roman get you to do it?" I asked.

       "Because I figured out the killer was him," Declan said. "When I got home to see..." He took a deep, shaky breath. "To see my girlfriend dead, Roman was still there. I caught him and we did fight, but he won and threatened to kill me if I didn't do what he said. And then he threatened to kill Enzo."

       "I'm so sorry, Declan," I said. "Roman is a disgusting person for doing what he did."

       "How did you find out it was him?" Declan asked.

       "Because he gave up," I said. "What he was doing was like a little game to get back at me and Shaw. Everyone he attacked had some sort of connection to us but he wasn't succeeding like he thought he would, so he sent me a letter saying something like, 'The game is over. I'm coming for my son'."

       Declan furrowed his eyebrows. "His son?"

       "Shaw and I adopted a baby that I found abandoned in an alleyway," I said. "The mom didn't think she could raise him, especially because she thought Roman was dead. She explained that to us later on and told us to take good care of him. We told the police and they are looking for him now, so I'm sure if you tell Horatio everything, he'll let you go."

       "Yeah, you're right," Declan said. "Again, I really am sorry for what happened in that forest. I never wanted to kill anyone."

       "I know," I said. "I should be going now. Do you want me to bring Horatio in?"

       Declan nodded, so I got up and left. Horatio was standing close to the room and looked over at me. "How did it go?" I asked.

       "He told me everything since the police know about Roman," I said. "He wants to tell you everything now. He'll be released, right?"

       "Well, he was about to kill someone but I'll be able to pull some strings, especially if he does have an explanation for it," Horatio said.

       "Trust me, he does have one," I said.

       Right as I left the police station, my phone started ringing so I pulled it out of my pocket to see Shaw's contact name on the screen. "Why, hello, husband," I said when I answered the phone.

       "Hi, Holden," Shaw said. "Listen, I need a favour. The catering event is about to start but the restaurant doesn't have certain ingredients that I need, and I forgot to pick them up from the grocery store before I came here but I am loaded with work and--"

       "Say no more," I said as I started walking to the grocery store to save some time. "Just text me the list and I will be on my way. I just left the police station."

       "The police station?" Shaw repeated. "Why? Is everything okay?"

       "Yeah, I just wanted to talk to Declan about the whole think now that we know it's Roman," I said. "We were all confused about it, and he didn't want to say anything until we knew. As it turns out, he was forced to do it because he saw Roman in his home after his girlfriend was killed, and Roman said he will kill the mayor if Declan didn't do what he said."

       "Okay, I know you told me to let the police handle it, but can I just go find him and kill him?" Shaw asked.

       "What? No," I said. "I don't want you being the one to get in trouble."

       "I won't if I know how to properly hide his body," Shaw muttered.

       "Shaw..."

       "I'm kidding," Shaw said. He then sighed. "I just don't like the idea of him being out there, plotting his next attack."

       "Yeah, same here, but you getting involved will make things worse," I said. "Anyway, just trust Horatio on this. He's doing all he can. Remind me when all of this blows over to send a request to the police station to make him the chief."

       "I'll probably do that too," Shaw said. "Alright, I guess I'll let you head to the grocery store. Thanks for that, and I love you."

       "I love you too," I said. "I'll see you soon."

       Right as I placed my cell phone back in my pocket, someone stepped in front of me, causing my heart to feel like it stopped completely.

       "I hear the police are looking for me," Roman said. "So I'll make things quick. Where's my son?"

______________

oof

anyone want a gif? here's a gif:

aojdlofs i love them so much. they best be actually getting married in october or imma throw hands (ง •̀_•́)ง