Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Shaw

       I was really grateful when Heidi agreed to be my lawyer through the custody battle, yet again. She was able to help me gain majority of custody with my kids and right now, I really needed to win this battle. My kids were already a bit scared of Hugh. Now that it proved he could get violent at times, I didn't want my kids anywhere near him.

       After talking to Heidi, I was going to head to my in-law's house to pick up Gibson before heading home, but I was stopped by Horatio. "Shaw, hey," he said as he walked up to me. "I tried calling Holden but he isn't answering his phone."

       "He's at home resting so he probably put his phone on silent," I said. "Is everything okay?"

       Horatio sighed. "Not really. We weren't able to press charges against Hugh for assaulting Holden."

       "What?" I asked. "Why not?"

       "Because he has an alibi," Horatio said. "And even though I don't believe it at all, I can't do anything about it since the chief believed him."

       "What was his alibi?" I asked.

       "Apparently, he was with his girlfriend all day," Horatio said. "She confirmed it."

       I couldn't believe it. Kendra had officially reach an all new low. She hated when people were violent and now, she was lying for Hugh?

       "Okay, thanks for telling me," I said, about to walk off but Horatio stopped me.

       "Shaw, no," Horatio said. "Don't go confronting Hugh. I can try pinning the assault on him, but you confronting him will just make things worse."

       "Trust me, it's not Hugh I'm going to confront," I said. Horatio was about to say something, but I continued talking. "I'm not going to have a go at Kendra either. If anyone can make Kendra tell the truth, it's me."

       Hopefully.

       We hadn't really been too close recently so she might ignore everything I say.

       When I got to Kendra's house, I knocked on the door and shortly after, she answered it. "If this is about the kids..." she said as soon as she saw me standing there.

       "It's not," I said as I walked into the house and Kendra closed the door behind me. "I just want to know why on earth you would lie for Hugh? He assaulted my husband. My husband who has already suffured enough with car crashes and brain injuries and attempted murder twice. Do you really think it's best for everyone if you let Hugh get away with this."

       "Shaw, I don't have time for this," she said. "I have to leave soon to pick up the kids from school."

       "Oh, right, you have to pick them up and bring them here to live with someone they're scared of," I said.

       "They're not scared of Hugh," Kendra said.

       "And how would you know?" I asked. "Have you asked them? Have you actually talked to them about how they feel about Hugh? Because every time they come over to my house, they never want to come back here. They hate being around him. And how do you think they're going to feel when they find out Hugh punched their step-dad and was going to punch him again?"

       "He didn't do it," Kendra said. "Have you ever thought tht maybe, just maybe, Holden lied to you about it?"

       "Excuse me?" I asked. "Holden would never lie about who assaulted him. He hates it when I get angry and he would know exactly what I would want to do to Hugh if it was him. I just can't believe you're willing to lie for Hugh and let him get away with it. You are putting our kids in danger by letting him be around them."