Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Holden

       Ever since all of us victims got that message from the killer, I had been feeling a lot more paranoid walking through the village. I felt like every step I took, someone was watching me. I tried my best to not go out alone and even if I had to, I stayed away from alleyways and other not-so pleasant places.

       That still didn't stop the paranoid feelings.

       Especially because I had to walk by an alleyway and I swore I saw the killer in his all-black clothing and mask standing at the very end, just staring at me. But when I looked back again, nobody was there.

       I really hated this. I needed this killer to be caught before he went for one of us again and this time, killed us.

       The worst part was there was no correlation between any of the attacks to the victims. It seemed like such random attacks because there was not a single suspect that would want to harm all of us. Me, Horatio, Calvin, Jane, Shaw, Letizia... There was no connection.

       Well, apart from all of us, except for Jane, being related somehow, but that still didn't make sense.

       While I was walking through the village, Dan suddenly walked over to me. "Holden, have you seen Destiny anywhere?" he asked. "She was supposed to go to the store, but she has been taking too long and she won't answer my calls or texts."

       "No, sorry, I haven't seen her," I said.

       Dan sighed. "I've looked everywhere and I can't find her. I'm really worried, especially with that killer going around."

       "I wouldn't worry too much," I said, even though we could never be too sure. I just wanted to help Dan stay calm. "After that message we got, I don't think the killer is going to be looking for new victims. I think they're more interested in the ones who have already been attacked. I'll help you look for her, though."

       "Thank you," Dan said, so the two of us walked around the village, hoping we could find his wife. We were asking around too but every person we asked hadn't seen her.

       Dan kept trying to call and text her while we walked around, but there was still no answer.

       Okay, forget not worrying too much. Even if there was a simple explanation, like Destiny's phone dying, it was best to play it safe.

       "I think it's time to call the police," I said. "Stay on the safe side just in case something did happen. And with Horatio on the case, he'll definitely do whatever it takes to make sure Destiny is okay since he is her cousin."

       "Yeah, you're right," Dan said before making the call to the police. After he hung up, he said, "I really hope the killer hasn't gotten to her. Not when... Not when they stab people in the stomach. She... She won't be the only one to die if we don't find her in time. But we looked around the whole village and we haven't seen her at all."

       "What if... she isn't in the village?" I asked.

       "What?" Dan asked. "No, she would have told me if she was planning on leaving the village."

       "No, I mean that, and it's a long shot, but the killer said everyone who would escape their fate will pay, right?" I asked and Dan nodded. "Your fate was being arrested. I don't think he would kill your wife because the cops let you go. Maybe kidnap her but not kill her."

       "What? That's just complete speculation," Dan said. "And I don't need speculation. I need to find my wife."

       "Dan, we'll find her, but we looked everywhere in the village and we didn't see her," I said. "I have an idea and yes, again, it's a long shot but the police will be looking for her around here. There's one place we can look but you're going to have to trust me."