Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Holden

       I didn't know how much more I could handle everything that was happening because of the killer. So many people I knew and cared about were being attacked and sent to the hospital. One even died. I couldn't imagine how Clyde and Calvin were feeling losing both of their parents within a year.

       Both being so close to the holidays.

       Both being murdered.

       I was trying so hard to ignore everything that was happening but I couldn't. Every minute that passed, I was feeling a lot worse and I didn't know what to do to stop this helpless feeling.

       And I ended up finding myself doing something I promised I wouldn't do. Ever. Otherwise it would make me the worst husband in the world.

       But I didn't know what else to do. I could barely sleep. Eat. Concentrate. All of these events were completely taking over my life.

       I was staring at the drink in front of me, telling me not to drink it but at the same time, I was telling myself that I should. Before I could even pick up the glass, someone suddenly sat down beside me at the bar in Fusion, so I looked over to see none other than Beckett. I sighed before asking, "What do you want?"

       "What, I can't just sit here and enjoy my drink?" Beckett asked.

       "Well, out of all the seats in the nightclub, you chose to sit beside me so I'm taking a wile guess to say that you do want something," I said.

       "I couldn't help but notice how upset you're looking," Beckett said. "Let me guess. Marriage problems?"

       "If it was any of your business, which it's not, no," I said. "Shaw and I aren't having any problems. We're perfectly fine. Perfectly healthy."

       Beckett snorted a laugh and most of the time, it wouldn't have bothered me. The only people who could really anger me were my family. I didn't care at all what other people said to me but right now, I wasn't in the mood for anything so Beckett was already getting me angry.

       "Yeah, right," Beckett said. "Shaw is a disaster. You're telling me a relationship of his is going well?"

       "He's a disaster because of you," I said.

       "Hey, he was fully accountable for his own actions," Beckett said. "And don't say he didn't know any better because I'm certain he was around the age you are right now. And you're married, aren't you?"

       "Okay, is there any reason why you decided to talk to me?" I asked. "Because I'm clearly not in the mood."

       "I know," Beckett said. "That's why I'm here. I thought I'd help you feel better."

       "Oh, really?" I asked. "Why would you want to do that? You and I don't know each other at all and if anything, you probably hate me for being married to Shaw."

       "Hate is a strong word," Beckett said. "I would rather say I'm... not fond of you. And as for me wanting to help you, it's because I'm trying to be a better person. Trust me, I know exactly what you need to feel great again."

       Beckett reached into his pocket before pulling something out and placing it in my hand. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked down, seeing a small plastic bag with contents I never wanted to see.

       "No," I said, handing the bag back to him. "No way. I am never getting involved with that stuff. Not after I know what it did to Shaw."

       "Shaw wasn't careful enough," Beckett said. "There are a lot of people who are able to use them only once, or just a few times. If you're really struggling with something, this will help."