Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Holden

       I was trying my hardest to wake up but I couldn't for some reason. My eyes weren't opening at all, and I was feeling very weak but part of me was wanting to wake up. All I could hear was a muffled voice but I couldn't even make out what they were saying.

       I was able to a few moments later. Someone was saying my name but I couldn't tell who until I was finally able to open my eyes to see my older brother standing close by. When Josh saw that I was awake, he walked over and helped me take off a breathing mask I didn't even know I had on. I guessed I was in the hospital, but I had no idea why.

       "Hey," he said softly. "How are you feeling?"

       "Weak," I said. "And my head hurts a lot. What happened? Why am I here?"

       "Well, what do you last remember?" Josh asked.

       I tried scraping through my brain to figure out what lead me here but... It was blank. There was nothing.

       "I don't know," I said. "I can't remember."

       "Okay, we don't have the exact reason because nobody saw what happened, but we pretty much know that it was Roman who caused you to end up in the hospital," Josh said.

       I furrowed my eyebrows, confusion being added to all the feelings I had. "Roman? Who's Roman?"

       Josh was silent for a bit before saying, "Holden, Roman is Cassidy's older brother. You know him."

       "I... I don't recognize the name at all," I said. "And why would he cause me to end up in the hospital?"

       Josh moved one of the chairs beside the hospital bed closer before sitting down. "That's what we want to find out, but you're the only one who would know. Nobody saw it happen. Shaw and Dan just found you lying near the forest."

       Now I was even more confused. "Okay, but... Who's Dan?"

       "Holden..." Josh said slowly. "Don't tell me you don't know who Dan is. He's the mayor's grandson-in-law. The owner of the 50's diner. Ace's stepdad."

       "Oh, him," I said. "You can't expect me to know him personally."

       "But you do," Josh said. "You do know him personally. Okay, I have to go talk to the doctor in charge but before I do, I have one more question. What's the last thing you remember? It doesn't have to be about what Roman did. I just need to know exactly what you remember last."

       I released a deep sigh. "I don't know. Like... going to class, I think?"

       "Where?" Josh asked.

       "Where do you think?" I asked. "School, obviously. Do you need me to tell you which school too? Because I've only gone to the same school my whole life. Speaking of, can you try to convince Mom and Dad to get me out of the stupid boarding school? I swear, all my teachers hate me."

       Josh didn't even really reply to me. All he said was, "I need to talk to the doctor," before leaving the hospital room.

       I sighed, resting my head back on the bed. My forehead was throbbing a lot, so I reached up only to feel some bandage wrapped around my head. Whatever this Roman guy did hurt a lot.

       It took Josh a while to return to the hospital room and when he did, Mom and Dad were with him. "How are you feeling, Holden?" Mom asked.