Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Shaw

       I made sure to leave the house before anyone woke up. I had to be as quiet as I possibly could because I doubt Holden or even my kids would be too happy about me secretly leaving the house yet again.

       Because of the cold and snowy weather, I had to put on a heavy jacket and some gloves before stepping outside. Winter in Spruceworth was always such a beautiful thing but recently, the mood had been ruined because of all the attacks that was happening.

       At least I took care of the cause of the attacks.

       For now.

       After stepping outside and closing the door behind me, I made my way to the outskirts of the village where the forest and the infamous shed was; the one shed that caused way too much trouble for me and my family.

       The one I was now taking and using for myself.

       I was always checking behind me to make sure nobody was following me. I didn't know who would be since Roman was the only enemy I had at the moment, but I still couldn't have anyone find out exactly what I did.

       I soon reached the shack and unlocked the door before walking inside. Roman was wide awake, sitting against the wall unable to move because of the ropes tied tightly around him.

       When he saw me standing by the door, he glared at me but didn't say a single word. 

       "How was your night?" I asked. "Good?"

       "If you're going to kill me, you should probably just get it over with," Roman said. "Though me and you both know you're not capable of it."

       "Oh, believe me, I'm more than capable of it," I said, walking over to him and crouching down beside him. "Unfortunately for you, I'm a lot smarter when it comes to getting revenge. Because killing you will only get me sent to prison so no, I'm not going to kill you."

       "So you're just going to keep me in here for a few days?" Roman asked. "Oh, wow, how cruel."

       "You really want to stay in here without food or water or even entertainment?" I asked. "Or without treatment for that head injury of yours? Speaking of, how is your head? It doesn't hurt too bad, does it?"

       Even though Roman was putting on a brave facade, I could tell he really was a bit worried about what I might do to him because leaving him in here for a few days wasn't the end of it.

       It was just the beginning.

       Roman always thought he could do whatever he wanted to whomever he wanted without a single consequence so I was just showing him what it was like on this side. What it was like to be afraid every single second of every day because you never knew what could happen to you.

       I thought I left this part of me behind but Roman mistakenly brought it back.

       He should have just stayed 'dead'.

       "Shaw?!" a voice outside of the shack and a bit further away suddenly called.

       A voice I really didn't want to hear right now.

       "Shaw, are you here?!" Holden called again.

       I sighed and stood up as Roman said, "You know, you're only going to regret this in the end."

       I looked at Roman, giving him a smirk. "Too bad it's not often that I actually regret something." 

       I walked out of the shack, closing and locking the door behind me before heading to the path. A few moments later was when I spotted Holden, walking in this direction. When he saw me, he sighed. "What are you doing here, Shaw?"

       "I can ask you the same thing," I said.

       "I came here looking for you when I woke up only to find out you were gone," Holden said. "And out of all the places you'll be, besides work, this was the most likely place. He's in the shack, isn't he?"

       I furrowed my eyebrows, not because I was trying to act confused but because with Holden's amnesia, there was no way he should no about the shack.

       It was one of the many reasons I chose this place to keep Roman.

       "How did you find out about this place?" I asked.

       "What do you mean?" Holden asked. "This place comes with a lot of bad memories connected to Roman. The wedding night kidnapping, when Declan was forced to kidnap Destiny, some other time that's still foggy."

       Memories...

       Memories!

       "Holden, did you realize what you just said?" I asked with a smile appearing on my face.

       "Are you trying to confuse me to divert the subject?" Holden asked. "Because it's working."

       "You said memories," I said. "A lot of bad memories connected here. You remembered about this place, about our wedding. Holden, some of your memories are coming back."

       I was going to hug him but he gently pushed me away, which caused me to frown. "Is he in the shack?" Holden asked.

       "Who? Roman?" I asked. "...Yes, but he's alive in there so that doesn't really matter."

       "It does matter," Holden said. "Because I don't want to be married to someone who's doing that exact same thing Roman did to me in the past."

       "Don't," I said. "Don't compare me to Roman. At least I never killed anybody. Not really."

       "You're still locking him in the shack," Holden said. "When you found him last night, you couldn't have turned him into the police."

       "I want him to suffer as much as the village has the past few weeks," I said. "He killed two people and tried to kill a lot more. You think that him being turned into the police is going to make everything better?"

       "Actually, yes," Holden said. "I don't want to admit it but Roman is smart. It won't be long before he finds a way to break out of that shack and goes back to tormenting everyone. I'll feel a lot safer knowing he's in prison."

       "Okay but..." I began but Holden didn't let me finish.

       "Shaw, if you really love me, you'll call the police right now to turn him in," Holden said. "Please just... Turn him in."

       I stared at my husband for a bit before reaching into my pocket and pulling out my cell phone. As much as I didn't want things to end right now for Roman, I had to listen to Holden. He was the voice of reason in my head; the voice I did want to ignore at times but in the end knew what was for the best.

       "Just look on the bright side," Holden said once I got off the phone. "Well, apart from Roman not being able to torment anyone anymore. We can now finally enjoy a peaceful Christmas tomorrow."

       I raised an eyebrow. "Holden, this is Spruceworth. Nothing is peaceful here.""

______________

holden jinxed it smh

i mean what

anywhere here's a gif because i haven't used a gif in a long time:

aweeeeee <3