Chapter 41

Chapter 41

Shaw

       Being brothers-in-law with a doctor was definitely beneficial at times, one of the times being me needed a space to run a support group. I had been working so hard the past couple days to get it started. It wasn't even until the new year that I was able to start it.

       And it was all thanks to Josh. He was able to talk to his boss at the hospital to see if I could rent out a space there weekly for the support group meetings. Once I was able to get that space, the support group was up and running.

       The first week, only a few people showed up but I didn't expect many in the first place. It was the first meeting so it wouldn't have been surprising if only a limited amount of people heard about it.

       The second week, however, had a lot more people; more than I was expecting. Seeing all these people here telling me about their stories, how they got addicted and how they were trying to get through it, only reminded me about my past addictions. I knew how hard it was so I really hoped I could make a difference with these people.

       When the meeting ended and everyone cleared out of the room, I headed to the food table to pack up the leftover food. While I was doing so, there was a soft knock on the door so I looked over to see a young teenage boy standing there. "Is... Is this the room for the support group meeting?" he asked.

       "Yeah, but it just ended not too long ago," I said.

       "I know," he said in a quiet voice. "That's why I'm here now. I... I didn't want to talk in front of a group of people."

       "How old are you?" I asked.

       "Fifteen."

       Fifteen.

       I definitely couldn't turn someone away this young, even if the meeting already ended. I thankfully didn't have a place I had to be right now but if I did, I would still stay to talk to this boy.

       Fifteen years old was younger than I was when I got addicted.

       "Alright, come in," I said.

       "You don't mind that I came after the meeting end?" he asked.

       "No, of course not," I said. "I started this support group for a reason, and I also know what it's like not wanting to talk about your addiction, especially in front of people you don't know. If you would rather just talk to me, I'll definitely stay to listen."

       He smiled softly before walking in and closing the door behind him. The circle of chairs were set up so we sat down beside one an other. He seemed a bit nervous but at least he was here to talk about whatever he was going through.

       "So what's your name?" I asked.

       "Grant," he said. "Grant Simms."

       "Simms?" I asked. "Are you related to Horatio, Kenny, and Destiny?"

       "Yeah, they're my cousins," Grant said. "You know them? Wait, of course you do. They're the mayor's grandchildren, and Kenny is married to Calvin, who everyone knows apparently."

       "That, and I'm married to Calvin's cousin," I said. "Are you new to Spruceworth? I feel like Calvin would have mentioned you if you've lived here for a while."

       Grant nodded. "My mom moved us here last week. Shortly after... after my dad passed away."

       "Oh, I'm sorry," I said. "Right around the holidays too. That must have been hard."