Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Holden

       "Shaw, I'm telling you, I'll be fine," I said. "We live right next to the grocery store, and the way there is right in the open. Nothing bad is going to happen to me."

      "You don't know that," Shaw said. "Clyde told you to be careful. If serial killers strike and their target doesn't die, they might go for them again. I don't want to lose you, Holden. Not again. And if you die, I will lose you forever. Not just temporarily."

       "You're not going to lose me," I said. "I really will be fine and I don't want to let this person control my life. Yeah, I'm terrified to even step outside alone, but if I don't, then whoever did it is winning."

       "Then let me come with you," Shaw said.

       I sighed. I honestly would rather have Shaw come with me to the grocery store but I really didn't want to live in fear the whole time. I needed to at least try to move on from that attack, even if the thought of it scared me.

       "You can't," I said. "Gibson is sleeping. One of us has to stay here and I really need some fresh air. I haven't left the house ever since I got back from the hospital. I'm going to go crazy if I stay here any longer."

       "We can wait for Gibson to wa--"

       "Shaw, seriously, I love you and everything but you're being way too overprotective. I promise you, I'm going to be fine. If you worry about me, just call or text and I'll respond as quickly as I can."

       "Fine," Shaw said, leaning back into the couch and crossing his arms over his chest. "I'll just stay here, worrying the whole time."

       I walked over to the back of the couch, leaning down and kissing Shaw's cheek. "I'll be as quick as I can, just for you," I said. "Is there anything you want from the store?"

       "Actually, yes," Shaw said. "Can I get a box of please stay and wait for Gibson to be awake so we can go together?"

       "And I'm leaving now," I said, heading to the front door to leave.

       Right as I was about to step outside, Shaw got up from the couch and walked over to me, pulling me to him and pressing his lips on mine. When he pulled away, he rested his forehead on mine. "Please stay safe. I really don't want you getting hurt again."

       "Shaw, the grocery store is literally a minute walk away," I said. "I'll be fine."

       Shaw nodded and gave me another kiss before letting me leave the house. I really wished he stopped worrying because the more he worried, the more I worried.

       Thankfully, I made it to the grocery store without a problem. As scared as I was, I knew it was highly unlikely I would be attacked again right now when I lived a minute away from the store and it was a busy time of the day so a lot of people were outside.

       While I was getting the groceries I needed, someone walked up to me see I looked over to see Joel. "Hey," I said.

       "Hi," Joel said. "How are things going? I heard about the attack. Have they caught who did it?"

       I sighed. "No, not yet. Worst of all, Horatio was attacked too."

       "So... There goes any good chances of catching him," Joel said.

       "Exactly," I said. "So how are you?"

       "To be honest? Horrible," Joel said. "Jett still won't give me another chance, so I am very close to giving up altogether. I don't supposed your love life is going any better?"