Chapter 23: Fears and Regrets

A/N: Sorry, I made a mistake in the last chapter. Kakashi is 31, not 38!

"Why, Sakura? Tell me why him of all people!" Yamanaka Ino demanded as the two girls stepped out of the changing rooms of the local hotsprings. Though no one was there but them, the girl had wrapped her white towel around her body tightly as if expecting a man to barge into the room any second. That, and the fact that she was clenching her fists into said towel furiously, made it very clear that she wouldn't stop questioning until she got a satisfying answer out of the pink-haired medic.

"Ino..." Sakura sighed, exasperated. For the past three days the blonde had bugged her with that particular question, never getting more out of her that a sad look, or an irritated grunt. In Sakura's mind it could remain like that way forever. It was none of the Flower Girls business, and she wouldn't be able to explain anyway.

"Don't 'Ino' me, Sakura. Tell me why!" Inoichi's daughter retorted heatedly. "You could've had anyone you wanted, so why him? You could have your pick of much younger, attractive shinobi-"

"Name one, Ino-pig," Sakura challenged her best friend. She seriously doubted any other male could be nearly as attractive as Kakashi, even if her eyesight deteriorated (sp?), and she had drowned loads of alcoholic beverages, but the medic decided to humor the blonde- for now!

"Shika."

"He's with Temari, have you forgotten?"

"Chouji."

"Has hooked up with a nice civilian girl."

"Shino."

"Same here."

"Kiba."

"Still pining over Hinata."

"Naruto."

"Still somewhat mid-heartbroken because of Hinata's marriage. He realized too late that he liked her."

"...Neji."

"Has to marry said Hinata, or their clan will be at each other's throats in seconds since the segregation was abolished."

"...Do I dare ask?... Lee?"

Sakura just snorted.

"Uhm, Gaara, Kankuro."

"Too scary."

"What about Sai-" Sakura was about to answer, when her friend spoke up again. "Nah, he's too cute for you."

Sakura growled.

"What about Sasuke, though?"

"...Well... he did ask me out once, but... but I refused," Konoha's Cherry Blossom answered meekly.

"What?! Why?"

"It didn't feel right at the time. I just... don't feel that way for him anymore..." the pink-haired girl admitted.

"And you do for Kakashi-sensei?" Ino asked bewildered.

"Uh...yes... Weird, huh?" Her emerald eyes adverted to the bluish-green surface of the water, sadness, and fear making their way back into them. Sadness, because she was separated from him, possibly forever. And fear of Ino's reaction. Though they called each other names, and always argued, the Yamanaka-girl was her best friend. Sakura wanted, no, needed her approval, but of course wasn't expecting anything short of what she had already seen, heard, and felt on her person.

"Just a little. We've all had our fantasies."

"Huh?"

"Well, many girls prefer more experienced men, so that- Eh, Sakura? Sakura, are you alright?" Ino stopped mid-rant, seeing that her friend's face had turned a darker colour than her hair., her body unconsciously slipping deeper into the water. Ino could already see her breath form bubbles underneath the surface. Frowning for a moment, she soon realized what had happened, though she couldn't quite believe it. "Sakura?"