XXIV

joy's pov

After that night Dan and I hooked up it wasn't awkward or anything, the next morning we grabbed coffee together and he apologized for being a bit rough. I of course didn't mind though, at least he enjoyed himself. But it's been a few weeks after that, today Dan's supposed to come over and help me move a table. 

At first I thought he was just late as always, but after an hour, I knocked on his door. I didn't get a response so I called him, no answer. By this time I remembered he kept a spare key somewhere that I later retrieved and opened the door with. Joy Division played loudly as I walked into the flat, I heard awful noises coming from the bathroom. It sounded like Dan might be sick.

The bathroom door was slightly ajar, so I could just barely see him kneeling down. I knew that position too well, I opened the door a bit more to reveal my friend with his fingers down his throat.

"Dan stop that!" I yelled as I attempted to move his hand away. He threw up a bit more onto the cold floor before I collected his lifeless limbs into a pathetic embrace. 

"I've been doing this for years Joy, I know what I'm doing" he mumbled against my chest, as he tried to crawl back to the toilet. Not knowing what to do, I called up Kyle, he's known Dan longer than me so he would know what to do.

----------

By the time Kyle arrived, Dan had started to cry. He was severely intoxicated, causing him to be hysterical throughout the night. I explained to Kyle what I found Dan doing but he didn't seem surprised.

"He told me that he would stop a few months ago" Kyle said, he was obviously disappointed in Dan. The night ended with Kyle taking Dan back to his flat. "I'll have to cancel plans with Max, but at least me from two years ago will have a blast. I had a fucking massive crush on this man" Kyle said, gesturing towards Dan as they walked out. I was left to process the last couple hours, cold and alone in the absence of Dan once again.

AN- I'm finishing my online classes in about four weeks so I'll be updating loads then. Sorry for the sensitive topic in this chapter, but there's a tw in the description of the book y'all