Chapter 20

I woke up at like 11 am, with a few snapchats and texts from a whole bunch of people. A lot of it was just from mine and the girls group chat on both Snap and regular messages. I also woke up to a voicemail from both Nick and Dylan. I waited an hour or so, while I did some homework, and listened to Dylan's first.

"I can't believe you'd do that. You had my best friend over at your dorm? He said you were cuddling all night and hanging out? Who does that? I thought you maybe still liked me but apparently you moved on? How can you move on that quickly?" The call then ended, his voice was breaking and that killed me all in itself. I felt so bad. I facetimed him back, I needed to not only hear his voice but see his face too.

"Hello?" He asked.

"Hey." I said said. It looked like he had been crying.

"What do you want? Did you want to call to brag that you've moved on, and then see it breaking me? The fact that you decided to move on with my best friend? You seriously are such a puckbunny. Did you know that Owen told me you kissed on New Year's? And now I see that you were with my best friend last night? Another hockey player. And then there's me, obviously, a hockey player. Why do you do this? It makes me really think if you truly loved me know the first place or if you just wanted connections."

"Do you remember that when we met, you had to tell me that you played hockey? And that I didn't want to let any of your hockey friends follow me, or add me on snapchat or anything like that? Do you remember that in our first year, almost two, of dating I refused to meet any of your hockey friends and the only one I'd ever meet or talk to was Mitch, and that's only because we were friends first. Do you seriously think that I would go and find a new boyfriend, not long after we broke up. I was madly in love with you and I still am. I don't think I'd ever get over that.

And the last thing I would want to do it to get with one of your friends. Because that would mean I'd see you, and at this point being face to face even with one of your friends, hurts so much. He didn't come over to get with me, and trust me I wouldn't get with him. He came over to try and get us back together." I finished. Dylan looked down, and was silent for a bit.

"I'm sorry. I just assumed you would want to get back at me and try and hurt me like I hurt you." He said after a while. He still hasn't looked me in the eyes

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you like you hurt me, I don't want anyone else to go through that pain, especially you." I said, I could feel my face heating up, not because I was embarrassed but because I didn't know how he would react, I was nervous, also nervous for what I was about to say. "Didn't you move on from me anyway? I saw it, there was a picture of you and some girl on your Instagram, and on hers. You can't say anything about me moving on, and no way can you be upset about it."

"I'm not upset that you moved on, I'm more upset about who I thought it was with, which I see now, wasn't what really happened. I'm sorry I didn't trust you. And yeah, I moved on but it's still not the same." He said. There was a silence.

"So what's she like?" I asked.

"She's nice, really pretty, funny, smart, and smart, I like her."

"Would you say you love her?" I asked, scared of the answer. He shook his head, no.

"Not yet, but maybe soon." Dylan said, it made me a little happier to hear he didn't love her yet. Key word here, yet. "Okay I gotta get back to practice, it was nice talking to you again, and seeing your face." He said.

"You too, have fun." I said, and we hung up the call. It did make me a little upset that he had the nerve to complain about me hanging out with a new guy, when he already has a new girlfriend, and I might just be overreacting but that's not cool.

I looked at the time and date on my lockscreen and realized it's both, the day my best friends come back, and it's also my first day playing at the little cafe down the street. Saturday January 6 2018. I went to my desk that had my macbook air and watched a movie while waiting for someone to come back. As the credits started rolling, someone knocked on my door. I got off the bed and walked out of my room, into the common room that I shared with Katelyn, and opened the door.

"I forgot my key card." Katelyn said as she gave me a hug. "I missed you!" Same said as we swayed back and forth a little in the hug.

"I missed you too." I said with my head in the crook of her neck. She pulled apart from me and put her hands on my shoulder.

"So I know something happened, you've been here for so long, what happened?" She asked. We went to her room and I sat in the bed while she unpacked her bag.

"Everything just reminded me so much of Dylan and I can't deal with that." I said. Katelyn just nodded. I waited a minute or so before adding, "He called me this morning." I said as she put some clothes in her closet. She stopped in the middle of it and turned around to look at me with a concerned look on her face.

"What happened?"

"He got mad at me for hanging out with another guy, when he already has a girlfriend. That's just not okay, and it pissed me off." I said. She continued putting more clothes in her closet.

"Did he actually have the nerve?" She asked walking back over to me. I nodded and picked up my phone checking the time. It was 2:30 already and I had to be at the cafe for 5:45. I decided on having a shower and talking to Katelyn while my hair was drying.

I got out of the shower, dried off and wrapped myself in a towel. I went to my room and grabbed a pair of light wash ripped skinny jeans and a black crop top. I put on some perfume from Bath & Body Works called A Thousand Wishes and I put my favourite ring and necklace on. I then grabbed socks and a pair of black vans. I grabbed a pen and piece of paper and went back into Katelyn's room, seeing that Julia, Morgan, and Kennedy were in there.

"What's the paper for?" Julia asked.

"Oh yeah, I got a job playing at the little cafe down the street and my first gig I tonight so I need to make a list of songs." I said. I opened the pen and started writing some of the songs down that I have memorized.

Story Of My Life by One Direction
Amnesia by 5 Seconds Of Summer
The A Team by Ed Sheeran
Happier by Ed Sheeran
Ain't Worth The Whiskey by Cole Swindell
Love Story by Taylor Swift
Black by Dierks Bentley
Burn by The Vamps
I'm a Mess by Ed Sheeran
All Too Well by Taylor Swift
Fallout by Mariana's Trench
Flicker by Niall Horan
Get It Right by the Glee Cast
Fall Into Me by Brantley Gilbert and
Wild Heart by The Vamps.

I filtered through them only picking ten, then writing them down on a separate piece of paper and putting hat in my guitar case. I packed everything that I would need and headed out, letting the girls know where I'd be if they needed me and how long I'd be there. I started walking to the cafe and walked in, ordering a simple iced coffee with milk.

The manager helped me get set and up everything, which was super nice. As I was sitting on the chair I saw someone walk in. They looked kind of familiar, not like I'd ever talked to them, but I've definitely seen them at school or on instagram. I ignored it for a couple minutes. I took a sip of my iced coffee and picked my guitar up, putting the capo on the end of the head, and grabbed my favourite pick. I also grabbed a tuner and tuned the strings really quickly making sure everything would sound right. I looked up from tuning and the girl was staring at me, giving me a really dirty look.

It can't be.

This has to be a fucking joke.

I don't believe it.

Dylan's new toy.