Chapter 21

_______________

     Chapter 21    

________________

I had been visiting Walter regularly for about a week now hoping that he’d get better. I felt guilty every time I saw him lying in that bed unconscious; he was in that position because of me.

If I hadn’t taken that knife from under the sofa he could have taken care of George much faster. If I had listened to him and ran and got help, he wouldn’t be in that position.

It was my fault and I wanted to see him get better. I needed him to get better.

Sarah kept pestering me for the entire week how I knew Walter and why he was in that position. She knew he was stabbed from the report but she wanted to know why he was stabbed.

I wanted to tell her the truth, she was the first friend I’d ever had that didn’t like me for my royalty status but for who I really was… Or who she thought I was.

“You know my offer stands. Move in with me.”

“I told you a bunch of times Sarah I can’t… I have a contract with my roommate and it’s not up until 6 months later.”

“Well you’re an idiot! Why the heck would you re-sign a twenty-four month contract the queen of bitches?”

I shrugged.

“You’re not telling me something…” She squinted at me across the dining table reading my facial expression for any hint of lying.

“Like what?” I asked playing with my pasta.

“You tell me?”

“Tell you what?” I asked raising an eyebrow.

She glared, “You bitch. You know I know when you’re lying.”

“I wasn’t lying nor was I telling you the truth, I asked you a question, I didn’t state anything for it to be a lie.”

“Smart ass.” She smirked slapping the back of my head before walking into her kitchen with our dirty plates.

“Why are you mad?” I asked sensing her mood.

“I’m not mad,” she said scrubbing the plates “I’m just really annoyed, there’s a difference.”

“Ok, why are you annoyed?”

“Because! I tell you everything and you always hide stuff from me. You’ve never even let me meet you’re roommate, I don’t even know where you live!” She blurted slamming a wet pot on the counter and almost breaking it.

“I have my reasons, Sarah.”

“Tell me them. How do you expect me to understand you if I don’t know anything about you? I’ve known you for years and most of the time you’re like a stranger.”

“I don’t want you to know me! That’s the thing! If you know me you’re not going to treat me the same.”

“How would you know how I’m going to treat you? And what the hell aren’t you telling me?” She yelled in frustration chewing her lip. I’d known Sarah for years and the only time she ever chewed her lip was when she was going to hit something, or someone.

“Look, I’ve got to go.” I said with a shrug walking towards the door.

“Don’t leave! Talk this out with me!”

“You’re angry, Sarah, I’ll come by later.”

“If you leave now and don’t talk this out or tell me what’s going on, I don’t want to know.”

“I don’t want you to,” I said sadly “It’ll ruin our friendship, trust me it will.”

“No it won’t, you will.” She said with a sigh, “You can let yourself out.”

“Sarah-“

“Get out of my house, Elle.”

“Sarah please…”

“Elle, get out! You don’t want to tell me I don’t want to know. Don’t think about coming back in a few days either. I’ll find someone else to walk my dog.”

“What about a friend?”

“I guess I never really had one…”