Distant Solution

On the second Saturday night both Ruby and May decided to chill instead of going sk8ting. They both lay on their bunks in shorts and T-shirts.

Ruby just lay back and stared at the ceiling. "I'm bored" Ruby said. "I'm not" May said distractedly. Ruby looked past the hamster cage over to May's side of the room. May was sitting drawing something in a book.

"What you drawing" Ruby asked.

May lifted the book and turned it to Ruby. "Chandeliers" May said, there was a drawing of a small chandelier.

"Show me more please" Ruby asked.

Ruby sat up and May joined her on the bed. "I page the book" Ruby said. "Okay" was May's reply.

They both sat on the bed with their backs against the wall; Ruby had the book on her lap. About a third through the book Ruby saw a mathematical formula at the bottom of one drawing. "What's that for" Ruby said pointing at the formula.

"It's used in the calculations" May said.

"Explain some more, I'm blonde" Ruby said teasingly tugging on her white ponytail.

May moved closer to Ruby and paged the book a few pages closer to the front of the book. It was a 3D drawing of a small elegant chandelier. May started pointing at a part of the chandelier and spoke, "I design my chandeliers to create light and make the light move around". "It's about angular velocity of light, angles of diffraction, crystal density, room temperature and a host of other things". "If you had to place all the crystals in specific places you could for example create a red light that ran pulses in the whole chandelier" may added.

"It sounds complicated" Ruby hinted.

"Very complicated" May said, "the math is especially complicated".

"Then where are all the sums" Ruby said looking up at May.

May tapped the side of her head and said "I do it in here, I am a Mentat, we do all the calculations in our minds".

"So that means you're like super clever" Ruby said.

"Not clever Ruby, just different, my mind works differently than other people's minds and I can't do a drop of magic" May said.

Ruby carried on looking at the Chandeliers. When she was halfway through the book the drawings ended. Ruby closed the book and handed it back to May, the book slipped out of May's hand and fell onto the bed, the book was open at the back cover now. There was a picture of a woman wearing a glittering ball gown; the woman didn't have a face.

"What's this" Ruby asked.

May blushed, "It's a ball gown for a beautiful woman". Then May turned the book to let Ruby see the drawing better.

"She's got a really tight butt, who could fit into that" Ruby said looking down at the picture.

"I expect you could fit into it" May said.

Ruby didn't hear May at all, the picture was entrancing Ruby.

In thought Ruby asked "I thought you like chandeliers".

May looked at Ruby and was trapped in thought, Ruby was actually incredibly beautiful. May wondered if Ruby was into girls.

"You're not hearing me" Ruby said as May slowly realized she was staring at Ruby's face and Ruby was staring straight at her.

"Oh sorry, what was the question again" May asked.

"What makes the dress glitter" Ruby said.

May answered. "The dress is made of silk, the silk is like the supports of the chandelier, and then you take thousands of tiny crystals and let them hang by tiny silk threads onto the dress". "Of course you would have to find the closest lower prime number of crystals that would fit onto the dress to cause the shimmering effect due to incidence of reflection to cause the partial intrinsic vibrations of the color".