Desire

On Monday morning Ruby stopped off at Mr. Bookbinder first. He would have 'Color for dummies' repaired by Wednesday. Ruby asked him to drop the book off at Meister.

Meister gave Ruby a hug and said "I suppose she ripped out the pages again and that Mr. Bookbinder will drop the repaired book off by me, again".

"Yep" said Ruby slightly embarrassed.

"So what kind of Magic do you want to learn" Meister asked.

"Calistherm first" Ruby answered.

Then Meister fell into details about all the kinds of magic there were and ended up confusing himself.

Ruby reminded him again she wanted to learn Calistherm magic.

Meister rummaged through the shelves and pulled out "Calistherm formative magic for advanced students".

"Rip that one and I will tear out your gonads through your left nostril" Meister warned jokingly, "It's my only copy". "Go visit Mrs. Glass and tell her I sent you". Meister handed her a note to give to Mrs. Glass.

While waiting in Mr. Glass's office, Ruby looked through the window at the two glassblowers at work. They were working in the heat and had their shirts off, both boys were buff. Ruby suspected they didn't have an ounce of fat on either of the two glistening bodies.

"They do it the traditional way" a voice said behind her, "between the two of them they only use red magic to heat the glass and that my dear is the extent of their magic". "They mostly make drinking glasses for liquor; Max's club is our biggest buyer."

Mr. Glass asked her to call him Andy. "I think you want to join my wife Jenny over there" Andy said pointing through the door to the woman sitting at a table by a window with sunlight pouring over the table.

Jenny was a pleasant person with delicate hands. Jenny was a brunette with a firm body and a peaceful face. Jenny agreed to tutor Ruby, Jenny understood that Ruby worked at night so any morning Monday to Friday Ruby would be welcome to join her.

The day was going to be a long one, Ruby had a ton of things to do and she also had to go out tonight into the Abyss.

She stopped at Argon's business next. He was Mr. Woodwork; Argon was a carpenter and ran a woodworking business. Ruby asked for a thorough quote to repair the old library and to get not the best but the best of the best and redecorate Silkwood. She called it Silkwood because silk and wood were going to be the primary components of the new home that would rise from the ashes of the burnt library. Argon was told he would have to hire decorators as he chose fit.

Mr. Speedfix took the longest. His name was Vivian, traditionally a girl's name. Vivian was built like an ox with the most awesome tattoos, most of his bald head was a mass of tattoos. Vivian explained that to build a ship like the "Bol and Bewb Breaker" would take about four years under normal conditions; if he hired additional staff and ran four shifts they could have the ship ready in nine months. The price would be horrendous. Ruby asked for a quote for the nine month option. Vivian told her the quote would be ready in two weeks, the ship would be modified for crystal hunting in the Abyss.

Ruby's head hit her own pillow at noon, she slept like a log. She was ready at the Abyss edge as the sunlight started fading. May gave her a kiss and smacked Ruby on her bottom before Ruby launched into the Abyss.

Ruby had missed her gliding; May said the odds of dying were 100 percent if something went wrong. Ruby agreed with May on that point. Ruby urged the glider into the updrafts to get height and thought about the last two months, Grandma Grey, May, Love, May, Love, May, Love then crystals. Ruby hadn't thought about Argon once, and when the updraft petered out she looked for crystals.