Chapter 14: Repressed Desire

Augustus looks slightly terrified. He nods to me, and I see his Adam's apple bob in his throat nervously.

I just told him that today, Mum and I are going shopping and we're inviting Kaitlyn along. Mum thought it would be better if Gus didn't come as we are shopping for dresses – dresses for Gus' parents' wedding. I secretly agreed with Mum; I wanted my dress to be a surprise for Gus, but he didn't think so.

"What am I supposed to do while you're gone?" He runs a hand through his hair, biting his lip. It's the first time I've seen him display such insecurity. He's usually so confident, so certain of himself. Honestly, it just heightens my attraction to him. He's not always infallible. He can be knocked down, vulnerable. He's human, like the rest of us.

"Well-"

"You're coming with me." Dad announces, walking into the hallway.

If possible, Gus pales further. I pinch myself to stop the laugh that threatens to escape my lips.

"I am, sir?"

"I offered to help our neighbour reconstruct her garden." Dad explains. "She needs some help with brick-laying. You have the perfect body type and, seeing as you have nothing else to do, I offered up your services."

Augustus brightens. "Sure. That sounds great." He actually seems excited by the idea. I scrutinise him, fascinated by the renewed passion in his eyes. "It's a beautiful day to be outside."

I smile, pleased. "I'll be home sometime this afternoon." I promise.

He salutes me, much to my Dad's amusement. Mum comes out of the kitchen, slinging her handbag over her shoulder. She nods to me.

"Hazel, are you ready?"

"Yes." I nod and we both head out to the car. Dad and Augustus follow behind, discussing the neighbour's plans for the garden. I get in the passenger seat, pulling my oxygen tank into the footwell.

"Oh, I forgot my phone!" Mum announces and she goes back inside to retrieve it. After a few seconds, she calls, "Honey, did you move my phone?"

Dad rolls his eyes and heads back inside.

Augustus leans down on the window, leaning into the car. He smirks at me, his fingers touching my oxygen tubing absently. In turn, I mess with his shirt, feeling the cotton beneath my touch. It reminds me of last night and the memory of his shirtless body lying beneath mine fills my mind.

As if he is reading my mind, he murmurs, "How's your head?"

"Painful." I tell him. "But to be fair, we drank a lot."

He grins. "If we could do it again, I wouldn't change anything."

"Me neither." I agree. "But I could seriously do with some greasy, fatty chips right now."

He laughs, his chest brushing my hand as he does. His forehead touches mine, an affectionate gesture.

"I still don't understand why I can't come with you." He says. "The thought of spending the day with your Dad is vastly terrifying."

I chuckle. "I don't want you to see my dress. And you'll be bored." I say, "Besides, Dad isn't that bad."

"No?" He deepens his voice, frowning, mocking my Dad. "I do to you what you do to her."

"That was the obligatory speech every Dad has to make when their daughters bring home a guy for the first time." I tell him. "He probably hated the whole affair as much as you did. Honestly, my Dad is the nicest guy you'll meet...He cried at Marley and Me."