Chapter 13: Revealed Essences

Mum and Dad kiss my forehead.

"I want to know you'll be alright." Mum says anxiously. Then she turns to Dad. "Honey, I don't think we should go-"

"Mum," I say irritably. "We'll be fine."

Mum and Dad are going out to the cinema tonight, leaving me, Gus and Phoebe here. Phoebe is holed up in one of the guest rooms; I think she's avoiding us, which is fine by me.

"Any trouble, call me, okay?"

"Sure."

Barely half an hour after they left, Augustus barges into my room.

"Hazel Grace," He says, by way of acknowledgment. "I have come bearing gifts."

I lie on my stomach, The Hectic Glow blasting from my speakers, reading An Imperial Affliction. I put the book down and stare at him, my eyebrows raised.

"What," I say, "Is that?"

He holds up his arms, a slow grin unfurling on his face. "You are the most boring person." He tells me, clutching at two bottles of vodka and two shot glasses. "Drinking game."

"No freaking way, Gus." I say, picking up my book again. "Mum would have kittens if she found out."

"Nope." He throws himself onto my bed, laying down two shot glasses on the duvet. "Your parents love me. Besides, they won't be back until tomorrow."

I stare at him. "What makes you think that?"

"I overheard them talking about their hotel reservation tonight." He waggles his eyebrows mischievously and the whole action makes me laugh. "Think they're planning on having a little fun?"

I roll my eyes and make retching noises. After I say, "I still don't think it's a good idea. The alcohol might dull my meds."

He leans back, shrugging. "Fine. More for me, I guess. But Hazel Grace?"

"Hmm?"

"You should live a little. I mean...you may not get another chance."

"Augustus Waters, you are a self-aggrandising bastard." I grab a bottle of vodka, throwing my book behind me as we settle on the bed, crossed legged, facing each other. "What's on the cards then?"

He rips some pages out of my notebook on my desk and hands them to me, keeping a sheet for himself. He takes the lid off his pen and says, "Most embarrassing secret."

I grin, unable to stop the giggle that escapes my throat. Once we've both finished writing, we reveal our secrets.

He reads mine and snorts.

"You pissed on a tree?"

"Oh, come on!" I say, hiding my paper. "I was in the middle of nowhere and I was desperate." I wave senselessly towards his. "Isaac kegged you? Damn, that's embarrassing."

"We were playing a charity basketball game with college and I jumped up to shoot and he pulled my shorts down." He winces, a slight flush to his cheeks. "That was so mortifying."

"I bet you sauntered around as if it didn't embarrass you at all, didn't you?"

"What else was I supposed to do?" He shrugs, laughing and points to me. "I win that round. Drink up."

He pours me a shot of vodka and I down it, feeling the sting of the alcohol burn my throat. I choke slightly, not used to the tingle and then grin triumphantly. Augustus laughs.

"Biggest lie you've ever told." I say to him and he shrugs.

"Easy." He says, "I told Martha I'd be okay when she died."