two

"hello, mami," alana mutters as the bell on the door rings, revealing a boy and a girl.

jared and evan turn around, and evan immediately breaks into a smile.

"con!" he grins. "you came!"

"yeah," connor slips into a stool in front of the counter.

the girl behind him raises the corner of her mouth at evan before sitting in the seat next to him.

"hi, zoe," jared greets, wiping his hands on his apron.

they know each other from surfing club, and connor looks between the two uncomfortably. jared has never been round the murphy's, despite the pair being close.

"you know zoe," he says, shuffling, and gestures to her, whose eyes dart to alana and then to the table.

zoe already doesn't really like it much. it's quiet and bright and overly cheery; the fake, plastic kind of happiness.

"so," jared winks at connor, "what can i get for ya?"

"wait, fuck, connor– you're lactose intolerant–"

"zoe, it's fine." connor stares right at her, and instead of flinching away, zoe stares back, breathing heavily, safe in the comfort of public.

his eyes duller than they used to be, and you can see something inside him broke. she wonders if her eyes are like that, too.

"ok." she says finally. "just– go careful, ok?"

a suffocating lump forms in connor's throat when he notices the strain in her voice and foot tapping on the tiled floor and yellow-fingered grip on the counter.

"yeah," his smile is small. "i will."

it's fine, she know it is, but everything is screaming that he's hurting himself.