five

"hey,"

"hey,"

"he's gonna smell it, you know."

"i know. that's why i'm gonna borrow your jumper."

jared sighs and lets zoe in. "what's up?"

"that girl you work with's being a pain in the arse."

"what? alana?"

"yeah."

"she means well."

"yeah, well, she can fuck off." zoe flops down on the sofa in the living room and pulls off her jumper. "i'll just say i spilt something down it."

"he's gonna find out, eventually." jared perches on the piano stool in front of zoe.

"yeah, and hopefully he kills me when that day comes."

jared is silent for a long moment. "he's trying, you know."

"yeah, i know. i appreciate the effort, i guess. but it's weird." she breathed out heavily. "i guess– i want him–? to– to be nice, but– i just... can't." she shuffles uncomfortably, chewing on the inside of the inside of her cheek.

"nah, i get it. my mom was– not the best. and, like, when i facetimed her at christmas or whatever, i felt like i should miss her, but i didn't. and i– still don't."

zoe studies jared's face. his head is bowed and his hands are clasped tightly in his lap.

"hey." zoe says finally. "just because they're your family, don't mean you have to love them."

jared looks up, a small smile at his lips. "yeah. i guess."

"it's been hard," zoe continues shakily, "for the both of us. i know it wasn't easy when your mom– and at the same time connor– but we made it. you made it. and we may have shit family members, we're doing our best, alright? never feel pressured to feel anything you don't want to feel for your mom. i know she was a dick."

"thanks, zo."

she nods, exhaling a breath she didn't realise she'd been holding. "see you at surfing tomorrow?"

"yeah. see you."