thirty two

connor doesn't think zoe will remember much, but she doesn't talk to him for three days afterwards.

it's like holding your breath. everyone in their family is holding their breath. waiting. he's waiting. she's waiting. for an apology, one way or another. to start feeling again. to be forgiven. to be normal.

connor is sure it's a mean trick she learnt from him. pretending like nothing ever happened. it's his fault. it always is.

but zoe is making herself a cup of tea at ten a.m and she goes to the fridge and connor winces as she grasps at a milk carton that isn't there.

she inhales sharply and turns to look at him, and he keeps his head down and continues to chew slowly on his toast.

sure, there's no milk. that's not a big deal. zoe didn't think it was either until she read that milk can sober you up when you're high.

"i thought you were trying to quit." she folds her arms, although there's a strain in her voice.

"i was— i-i am." he corrects himself quickly. "i just got stressed." he mumbles.

zoe sighs loudly and accepts the fact that she'll have to take her tea black, an occurrence that she's used to.

"you're lactose intolerant, as well." she adds quietly as she sits down opposite her brother and wraps a hand round her mug.

"yeah, i know." connor stares at the crumbs on his plate. "i'll be fine."

zoe's gaze doesn't leave his face for a few more seconds than comfortable.