sixteen

"where were you?"

connor's hoarse voice makes zoe stop in her tracks. she takes off her coat and makes to go upstairs, before she sees her brother hardly illuminated by the skylight on the landing ceiling.

"why are you still up?" she grumbles from the base of the stairs, painfully aware that her parents are asleep.

connor chooses to ignore that question. "where were you?" there's an edge to his voice that makes zoe tense.

"why do you care?"

"because i'm your older brother." his voice breaks. "i want to make sure you're alright." his shoulders slope inwards.

"well, it's a little too late for that now, isn't it?" zoe snaps and pushes past him into her room.

her breath hitches as she closes the door. what if connor starts to–

she hears him sigh and there's a tantalising second when he pauses and he knocks on her door.

she ignores the knock, until he knocks again, louder, and she opens it as to not wake larry and cynthia.

"what?" she hisses.

"what's wrong?" he demands again, that edge becoming sharper.

"nothing–" she shakes her head– "just let me sleep."

connor gazes at her for a long moment, his body appearing to shake in the soft illumination of the moonlight, before leaving.

and zoe has to resist the urge to punch the wall.