『 0 』

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

╔═══════════════╗

last days and loss

JACK'S POV

╚═══════════════╝

FOUR YEARS AGO

I lay under the tree, with my best friend by my side. Her golden blonde hair tickled my cheeks as she lay down beside me, giggling as I smiled at her. We were lying on the picnic blanket after we'd finished eating. I stretched my hand out and grabbed my guitar. 

"Wanna sing one last song?" I asked, sitting up and placing my guitar gently on my lap. I'd gotten this guitar from my grandfather before he passed away last year. It was his old guitar and he and I were really close. 

He used to play to me every day, I loved it when he played. He had the magic touch, every chord he strummed made everything seem so alive. He made the person listening feel so alive, so moved by the lyrics as he sang in his raspy, low voice. I loved his singing and it was his death wish, that I continued his legacy. 

I learnt from him when I was younger, but I only played for her. She would never tease me for not liking football or typical guy stuff, she liked that I dared to be unique. "Your choice of song," she said, sitting up and blowing a strand of hair away from her face gently. 

"Never Be Alone?" I asked. It was our favourite song, we sang it as a duet although it was written as a solo. "Sure, I love Shawn Mendes," she answered. I took a deep breath and strummed. 

"I promise that one day I'll be around, I'll keep you safe, I'll keep you sound," I sang, "right now it's pretty crazy and I don't know how to stop but slow it down." 

"Hey, I know there are some things we need to talk about," her angelic voice filled the air, "but I can't stay." "So let me hold you for a little longer now," I sang as she threw her arms around my neck. "Take a piece of my heart, make it all your own," she sang softly. "So when we are apart, you'll never be alone," I sang back. 

We continued singing back and forth. As she sat next to me, our eyes locked. I looked at her, a gentle breeze blowing her golden blonde hair which sparkled in the sunlight. She looked so pretty, I realised. I felt something, I didn't see her the same way any more. I saw her as more than a best friend. She was so pretty, I hadn't seen that beauty before. I couldn't believe it, I was crushing on my best friend. I fell for her, and boy did I fall hard. But it was too late, she was leaving. And I may never see her again. I wanted to tell her, but I couldn't. I didn't know how. I could feel my chance slipping away.

ʚ♡ɞ

PRESENT DAY

Childhood memories. They're like thousands of little memory bubbles floating around, each holding a memory. Memories, fragile and precious, beautiful to look at, just like a bubble. Bubbles are fragile, if you try to change them, they pop, just like a memory. You can't change your memories. Most of my childhood memories are filled with her. The girl I literally grew up with, the girl I did everything with. We went to parties, shared toys, spent every day together. We did that, all the way till we were 10. Then, my best friend, she moved away. To Hollywood. She became famous. And I never heard from her again. And I never had that chance to tell her I liked her, as more than a friend.