The Express Letter

Chapter Three

         The Express Letter

William’s POV

I sat in the compartment of the train across from father as we travelled down from Liverpool to London. After everything had been decided for the Titanic, we decided to return home to make sure the business was still afloat. Father didn’t trust anybody in business and was anxious to get back to make sure it was fine, which I am sure it is. After all, mother was capable of running it, father just did not like people, bar himself, touching the financial parts of it all.

“Son, we soon need to start thinking about getting you a wife. You do not want to go to America without one do you?” He told me. Did he just mention America?

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. “Father, what do you mean America?” I wondered, turning my gaze from the window, towards him.

“Well William, we are a large part in the greatest liner to ever grace our waters, we were invited to go to the United States of America and I accepted. It is rude of us to not accept them.” He told me in a manner that told me that I had no say in the matter.

I sighed lightly. “And father, what if I do not find a suitable mate?” I questioned. I was not ready for a wife at all, I was nineteen years old.

“We will find you a wife. She will be smart and trained. She will be from a great family, who were unfortunate to not have a son.” He told me with an air of confidence.

“Do you already have one in mind?” I asked, already knowing the answer.

He averted his gaze from mine. “Well, your mother and I were talking to Lord Darlington about his daughter, and we both could not help but admire her beauty and intellect. She can play various instruments. Her father and I both agreed that you would make a lovely couple.” He told me and I gawped at him.

“Father, I am not being disrespectful, but I want to meet this woman before I take her as my wife.” I told him. Stopping the venom from showing in my voice.

“We have already arranged a meeting for both of you, tomorrow.” He informed me. “Your mother will be very upset if you do not marry her.”

He was blackmailing me? If I did not marry some stranger, my mother would be upset? I should expect this from him; he’s been like this since I was born. Money was all that mattered to him.

“Father, if I do not like her, I do not want my mother to be upset, I shall tell her tonight that she should not get her hopes up.” I told him sternly.

He glared at me. “Obviously you will not warm to her immediately. You shall go on dates, with chaperones now not needed, you may have more freedom, to talk.” He explained in his harsh tone, that he only ever used when I went against his judgement.

I sighed. “Okay father.” I ended, looking back out of the window, watching the trees pass by with speed. It amazes me how fast the world of transport is moving, I have read about the trains and cars and it is truly fascinating about how these machines have only been around for less than a hundred years, and yet here I am in 1910 travelling hundreds of miles in less than a day.

**************

We stepped off the train in Southampton. After we both got the train to London, we got another one to Southampton. We had been travelling for eighteen hours.

Our mother and her maid greeted us. The maid curtseyed us while our mother just smiled, showing no amount of affection whatsoever. “How has the business been?” My father asked immediately.

“It has been fine William. Nothing went wrong.” She told him and he gave her a tight smile. “Did you both enjoy your journey?”

We both nodded our heads. “Yes mother.” I replied.

“That’s good to hear.” She told us before climbing into the car first. The maid sat next to me as mother and father sat together.

The car journey was made of small talk about the Titanic and how important we were to the building of it. I found it tedious and boring, but maybe that’s because I was still angry at my father for setting me up with Lord Darlington’s daughter, who may be one of beauty and intellect, but I do not like being told how to live my life now that I am of age.

We all got out of the car and I surveyed the area. We had to be let out at the bottom of our drive. This woman, in the outfit of a maid wandered past me, she bowed her head in respect as she passed by me. Her huge doe eyes gave her an innocent look and her light brown hair shone beautifully in the light. She was absolutely gorgeous, and did not look like she should be working in a low paid job. She was young, no doubt about that, but for some reason, that did not matter.

I blinked a few times and looked up in the direction that she wandered in, to see she had disappeared. I sighed heavily before walking round the car and then up to the house, that seemed wonderful at the moment after all the travelling we have both just done.

“Sir, a letter arrived whilst you were out.” The butler, John, told my father, handing him it.

He sat down in his chair in the Sitting Room and accepted the letter from him.  He read it over and a smile replaced the frown from his face as he handed it to me. “William my son, read this, it shall make your day.” He told me happily. My thought of the girl came to my mind at his words, ‘it shall make your day’. I believe, seeing that girl has already made my day. It sounds a little stupid but I just cannot help it.

I took the letter out of his hands and read it:

Dear Lord Cunningham,

                                           I have heard news of a new liner being built, that is supposedly meant to be ‘unsinkable’. Well, I would like to see this for my own two eyes, without travelling to America. My Physics partner and I would like to see if we could have a tour of the ship before it sets off.

It was signed, Albert Einstein at the bottom. My eyes widened. He was asking my father to get him a tour on the ship? Wow! I didn’t even know my father was being involved that greatly, to get a letter from the great brain of Albert Einstein is an honour in itself.

“I knew they were serious when they asked me to furnish the titanic!” My father exclaimed, clapping his hands together joyously.

“Neither did I.” I replied honestly. I passed him the letter and father placed it carefully back into the envelope before placing it on top of the fireplace.