The Green Woman

Chapter Twenty

           The Green Woman

Edith’s POV

     William had his arm around my waist comfortingly as we watched as the ship made the final fifty miles to New York Bay. Everyone was out on the deck, and as soon as William told the Captain who my parents were, they were instantly allowed up to our deck, which was a miracle in itself. We kept getting dirty looks, but they were just the same from when I used to go to the Market for the orphanage, so I was used to them. But whether Harriet and Peter are or not is a different matter.

     “I’m so excited mummy,” Harriet cooed happily, the largest grin on her face.

           “So am I honey,” She replied with a smile of her own.

                    “What are we doing first?” Father asked changing the subject abruptly.

                            “After we register ourselves and have everything sorted, I need to cash in my meteor fragments as I read before the trip that there is a place in New York that could give me a good price, so I should get them cashed in first and find us a place to live,” William replied.

     “Meteor fragments?” My father questioned, his eyebrow raised a little.

             William nodded, “Yes, a friend of my father’s gave them to me; he told me that they would come in handy one day, and it seems they have.” William informed him.

     “What is a meteor fragment?” My mother asked.

              “It is a stone that has fallen from the sky,” I replied, feeling quite smart. I was lucky William had told me that.

     “That is impossible!” My father declared.

              “It is not Gerald,” William responded. “The man who gave them to me even gave me a history of them.”

     “I still do not believe you, but let’s move away from this conversation. What are doing when we get to New York?” He spoke, pointing his question at my mother.

     “Are you not coming with us?” I asked a little disappointed that they were thinking about departing from me when we have been apart from so long.

    “Darling, you are about to have a child and get married, you do not want us burdening you,” my father spoke softly but I stepped away from him.

    “Father, I have only just found you after a decade and you believe I want you to go away, do not be ridiculous. I want you to be in my life forever, I do not want you to go now that I am used to seeing you. With these meteor fragments, we will have enough money for a house that will fit us all in.” I told him forcefully. I knew I was behaving disgustingly, but I needed him to know that I wanted and needed my family in my life.

    “Is that okay William?” He asked and he nodded his head.

          “Of course, if it makes Edith happy then I am happy.” He replied.

                   “Why don’t we all go looking around New York while William goes to where he needs to and we meet up say at St Gabriel’s Park on thirty-Sixth Street?” My father wondered. “It will be easier for us all.”

    “I agree, we shall do that, let’s say meet at about four in the afternoon? We should hit the docks on New York just after midday, so that should give us plenty of time.” William commented.

   It baffled me how they knew so much about a city neither had visited, but William had a map with him and he had caught snippets from the conversations we had with dinner with those two couples we both disliked, so I understood how he knew, but how did Father?

     “Father, how do you know so much?”

            “I have a map of the streets that I acquired before boarding the ship, apparently it was updated last year and that everything was in the same place, taught myself how to read it and where everything was. I have it in my pocket, but I also have it memorised.” He informed me.

      I looked at him in awe, I did not much about writing, but I knew how to read as Mrs Chatterton had taught me the basics between mealtimes at the big house, for which I was grateful for. My mother’s letter that I have had all my life, I asked someone to read it aloud for me and I had memorised it from then, but when I read the second and third letter I received on my own, secretly I felt so happy that I could read them. I do not think I could teach myself new things like reading a map though.

     We stayed in silence for a while, the cold breeze whipping at our faces. The air was like needles in your skin it was so cold, but I do not think that anybody cared as we were all going to the greatest city on Earth and nothing could wipe the smiles off our faces.

    As we approached the Green Woman, I smiled. “Hey, Harriet, Peter, do you know that statue?” I whispered to them while bending down to their level of height.

    “Yes,” Peter nodded his head.

           “It’s a statue of me.” I joked, but placed a serious facial expression to try and fool them.

                   “No it is not.” Peter replied immediately, crossing his arms over chest stubbornly.

                             “It is, I speak the truth, and can you not see the resemblance?” I wondered, continuing my game.

     “Wow, it is so tall.” Harriet smiled enthusiastically. “It does look like you as well Edith.”

              “I should hope so,” I laughed.

               Peter still did not look convinced so he pulled on Father’s pant leg. “Father, is that Green Statue Edith?” He asked innocently. Father gave me a disapproving look, but smiled nonetheless.

    “It is young Peter.” He replied, a glint in his eye.

          “I do not believe you, why would there be a statue that tall for you?”

                 My eyes widened a fraction at how brass he was. “Because I am important,” I retorted.

                       He shook his head once again. “Telling lies is bad, isn’t it mother?” Peter spoke and mother nodded her head.

      For eight years of age, my younger brother was a very brainy lad, which will suit him well if he goes to school. “Edith is pulling your leg Peter, the tall statue is not of Edith,” she told him, ending my fun.

     “I knew it were not. Harriet did though, she is so stupid sometimes,” Peter name-called her before sticking his tongue out.

      “Peter Gerald Smith, do not call you sister any names, but her own, again!” My father bellowed.

              Peter shrank a little. “Sorry,” he mumbled scared, making me feel guilty for getting him shouted at.

     “Say it to Harriet, not me.” He ordered.

            “Sorry I called you stupid Harriet,” he muttered, his head facing his shoes.

                  “I forgive you Peter,” she smiled, hugging him tightly. The tension had shrunk slightly when my mother cooed over how cute they were.

     “Thank you,” Peter smiled his usual self again.

            “I wonder if we are having twins,” William whispered in my ear.

                    I froze, “oh I hope not, I am still trying to convince myself that one child in enough,” I laughed, to which he joined.