Training

Chapter 17

Cameron's POV

I was at a little coffee shop a few blocks away from my apartment. I was paying for my coffee when suddenly, I felt a cold rush of air sweep past me. I shivered and looked down at my arm. I had goosebumps. I looked around me to see what had caused the cold air, but couldn't think of anything. I wasn't standing near the door. I wasn't standing under a vent. There was nobody standing around me. I couldn't figure out what had caused it. But then, I noticed a little piece of paper sticking out of my purse. A piece of paper that wasn't there before. I quickly took it out of my purse and unfolded it. It read,

Don't think I've forgotten about you, Cammy.

My breath got caught in my throat and I shoved the paper back into my bag. I looked up at the barista and saw her confused look on her face. She has been trying to get my attention for a minute now.

"Ma'am? Your coffee?"

I looked at her, and looked around me again. There was still no one around me.

"Did you see anyone walk past me a few minutes ago?" I frantically asked her. She looked even more confused.

"No? You've been the only person in here for about 10 minutes now?"

"Are you positive?"

She nodded. I was starting to panic. Who put that paper there, and when? How did no one see them? I raced out of the coffee shop with the barista calling after me for my coffee. I didn't care about the coffee. All I wanted was to be at home with Jay.

I wasn't safe anywhere anymore.

~~~

It was a few hours after what had happened at the coffee shop. I put the paper in the same place I stored the first note. Safely hidden away from Jay.

We were sitting together on the couch, watching another rerun of Friends.

"So," I began. Jay looked at me with an eyebrow raised. "I was thinking that maybe you should train me."

"Train you?" He sat up straighter and turned to face me. "What for?"

"In case I need to defend myself. With all that has happened in the past, I feel like I should know how to stick up for myself."

"You have me to protect you."

"Jay, you won't always be there to protect me. You always come when it's too late and I've already been hurt."

That might've been a little rude, but it was true.

"I tried to get there as fast as I could." He said quietly as he looked at his hands.

"No, I know. I'm sorry." I placed my hand on his. "I didn't mean it like that, I shouldn't of said it." He looked back at me. "But I do need to know how to protect myself, Jay." He simply nodded.

"We can start tomorrow."

~~~

It's been 2 weeks since Jay has started training me. I can't lie, I'm getting good. He's really impressed with my progress. He still thinks that he needs to save me all the time, but with him not knowing about Jack and the letters, I have to know how to defend myself. I've thought about telling him, but he's so happy now. Especially when he can share the thing he loves doing with me. Even though he doesn't know the real reason, but what he doesn't know can't hurt him.

Patty has been helping me train too. And occasionally Marcus, but that's rare. I've kicked Patty's ass a few times already. It was great. Jay has a video. He likes to show it to everyone he works with and brags about dating a girl who can take a grown man down.

"Alright, babe, I think that's enough for today. I'm starving." Jay said as he took his gloves off and threw me a water bottle. I gladly took it and chugged nearly the whole thing.

"What do you want to eat then?" I questioned. He thought for a moment.

"Kinda craving some pizza"

"Ugh! We always eat pizza!"

"But it's so good and cheesy."

"Fine, but you're buying." I huffed.

"I always buy anyways!" He laughed and we started walking out of the gym towards his car. We got in, and he started driving towards a pizza place.

We ate, and now we're heading home.

"Cameron, I love you, you know that, right?" Jay asked. I looked at him with a confused face.

"Yes, of course? I love you too, Jay?"

"I just wanted you to know."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, just don't ever forget it." I looked at him sadly, and grabbed his hand that wasn't on the steering wheel. He looked down at me and smiled.

We made it home and we were lying in bed watching TV. Suddenly, my phone went off. It was a number I didn't recognize.

"I'll be back." I told Jay. I walked out of the room and onto our balcony. I clicked answer and placed the phone against my ear. "Hello?"

"An inmate at Upstate Correctional Facility is trying to contact you. Would you like to speak to Jackson Reavers?"

I stopped breathing.

How did he have my number? Why was he calling me? Why wasn't I hanging up?

"Yes." I barely squeaked out. I don't know why I decided to accept the call.

"Cameron?" I heard his raspy voice fill my ear. It sent shivers down my spine.

"Why are you calling me?" I whispered. I didn't want Jay to hear me.

"Why did you answer?"

I didn't have an answer to that question.

"Anywho, I just wanted to remind you that I always have eyes on you. Anywhere you go, you're being watched. I gotta keep tabs on my precious cam cam!" He laughed loudly.

"Why can't you just leave me alone? You're in jail for fucks sake, move on with your life!"

"Let me think...no."

"You didn't even think about it" I mumbled. "What do you want with me?"

"I want you. I want you forever. And if I can't have you, then I want you dead." I gasped and hung up. I placed my phone on the little table on the balcony and looked out at the city scape. I'm sure someone was watching me that entire time. And the thought of that terrified me. I will never have peace again. I will never be safe again. Not with my training. And not even with Jay next to me at all times. Jack would make sure I wasn't safe. He'd make sure I was dead.

But I won't go down without a fight.