Part 28

PEPPER

I want some kind of indication that Tony's still alive, still aware. I want him sleep talking like he normally does; moving about. Not lying still as he is now.
Peter starts to cry and I try to comfort him but my mind is on Tony and I can't give him my full attention.
'Here,' Thor says coming up to me and taking Peter, 'I'll take Lila and Peter to the kitchen.'
'Thank you.' I say, passing Peter over.
'I want to stay with Daddy.' Lila says, tugging on Thor's other arm.
'The kitchen is just over here, if you sit on the counter you'll still be able to see him.' Thor says.
'I can sit on the counter?' Lila asks, following Thor through to the other room.
'You sure can.' Thor says, acting calm and casual for Lila's benefit. I watch him take them to the other room and sit beside Tony, praying for him to wake up.
'How long will this take?' I ask Carol. She stands above them all, a distracted look on her face.
'It varies, some it'll take minutes, others potentially hours. I'm more concerned on how long it'll take Thanos to realise.'
'He definitely will realise?'
'No doubt. He was always aware of this chance, however minimal it might be to actually work. It takes a certain strength of person to survive the bridge. It's whether Thor, Bruce and I can hold him off until the others wake.'
'Rhodey's on his way too.' Bruce says, still staring at Natasha, waiting for her to wake.
'The Wakandan army are ready to hold up their end as well-they say-'
A gasp is let out and we all turn to Natasha. Her eyes are open, manic, as she looks about the room.
'Hey, hey, hey. You're here, you're alright.' Bruce says, taking her hand and making her focus on him.
'Where's...Wanda?' She asks.
'What happened in there?' I ask.
'She...we...took a train but she's not here.' Natasha looks heartbroken, so scared that Wanda was still in the stone.
A swirl of ash appears in the centre of the room and we all step back, watching. It forms a shape and soon Wanda lies where the ash formed.
She looks up at us and we all stand speechless. 'Well, that was not nice.' She says in a thick Russian accent. I forgot how she had sounded and I had never been so glad to hear her voice.
'It worked.' I say, staring at her, smiling and starting to laugh, 'It's working.'
'Don't sound so surprised.' Carol says, smiling beside me. 'This means it's going to be easier for the others to break through, but it also means that they have less time. Once they've broken through, they've maintained a setting for the person in the stone, they need to break that otherwise they could be trapped in that world while the rest of the souls trapped pass through. That would be a definite death.'
'Positive thinking.' Bruce says, as he hugs Wanda and moves over to kiss Natasha, 'It'll work.'