Part 42

NATASHA

Everything stops for a moment, a dark green light takes hold of the surrounding area and everything stops. I look up and see Carol standing above us.
'You have a minute, no more.' She says, her hands shaking from holding off the army.
Peter kneels beside Tony, sobbing uncontrollably and still holding onto Tony's hand. I sit the other side of him, hands hovering just above his body.
'He's not...' Rhodey says from behind me, holding back.
I take his wrist in my hand and let out a breathe, 'He's dead.'
Bruce came out of the Hulk as soon as he saw Tony collapse. He stands behind me and rests his hand on my shoulder.
'Steve's gone.' A voice comes from behind me and I realise that Bucky has returned. And then I realise what he said.
'What?' Clint asks, stepping forward.
'He didn't...he couldn't make it.' Bucky says quietly. 'Natasha he told me that he wants you to be happy, that you shouldn't hold back. He said he loved you all and told me to tell you that he didn't want to go. He wanted to stay, but he couldn't.'
Peter doesn't look up from Tony, but the rest of us are lost, unsure how to react.
'We have to win.' Peter says at last, 'There's nothing else, we have to win.'
'I'm losing it.' Carol says, her voice strained, 'there's something else trying to break through.'
'Then we'll win.' Clint says.
'Then we'll win.' I repeat to myself. I let my hand rest on Tony's hand briefly. Thor picks him up gently and rests him against a tree, away from the battle.
'We will take it from here, Tony. Now is your time to rest.' Thor says as he lies him down and stands back up again. 'We are ready to fight.' He says to Carol.
'Alright get ready.' She says.
Thor moves to the front, beside Carol, as Bruce starts the change to the Hulk again. Me and Clint stick to the left, he gets his arrow ready as I take out my spear. Rhodey flies a couple feet off of the floor and Peter stand beside him, hands poised, ready to shoot.
'We're ready.' Thor says.
The green light returns to Carol and she instantly takes up her fight with Thanos again, slightly overwhelmed by his power but holding her own. The rest of us are left to deal with the thousands of enemy ranks. More ships look as though they're coming to land and I know we're about to be overwhelmed, we can't hold them off for much longer.
Suddenly an orange light appears out of the corner of my eye. A portal opens up and Dr.Strange steps out, followed by a girl with antennas, Wong, Nebula and War Machine.
'It seems,' Dr. Strange says, spreading his hand apart in an odd formation, 'We've missed a bit.'