September: Changes and Interesting Inquiries

sunday
My father picked me up from Courtney's house at exactly 1 pm, he was a very prompt person since he was so busy. My mom was still mad at me, she was being juvenile and I really didn't understand why.

Garrett and Jacob were there when I arrived, ready to panic about our second year of high school, eat all of the food in my refrigerator and play my video games all at once. When the three of us were in my bedroom surrounded by frozen food wrappers and empty plastic soda bottles I decided to tell them about Elizabeth.

"When did you meet her exaclty?" Garrett asked, he was lounging on my bed with an open bag of chips at his side and a controller in his hands.

"Last summer."

Jacob swallowed down an Oreo, "I thought you were 'away with family.'"

Garrett shrugged, "He lied, obviously."

Jacob paused the game and threw America's favorite cookie at me, hitting the wall to my right. "Friends don't lie to each other jace."

I frowned, "Are you mad?"

He shrugged and turned back to the TV, "No, I lie to you guys all the time."

"That is definitely a conversation for another time," Garrett said.

"I just want Elizabeth to have friends when she comes. High school is scary enough, I don't think anyone should have to go into it alone."

"Is she cute? I can't be seen with ugly girls."

"Even if she wasn't cute," Garrett cut in before I could reply. "That would be a step up from being seen without girls."

"...You're right, she can hang out with us."

tuesday
Garrett, Jacob and I met in the front of the library at 6:45, it was a little weird that Garrett and I had grown at least two inches each while Jacob hadn't grown at all. Instead of three friends, we looked more like a biracial couple and their adopted child.

"What the fuck is this?" Jacob looked at the two of us. "When did this happen?"

"Over the summer," I said.

"Well, why didn't I notice?"

"Because you're a self absorbed jackass," Garret shrugged.

Jacob nodded, "You're probably right. Let's go."

"I have to wait for Elizabeth."

Jacob rolled his eyes,  "Who the hell is Elizabeth?"

Garrett rolled his eyes, "It's jace's friend. He told us this already."

And just then, a short Pakistani girl came trotting down the hallway. Her hair was up in a ponytail and still managed to reach her waist. She held a school map in one hand and a small gift box in the other. She smiled when she saw me and I smiled too.

"jace!" And she hugged me the way that only she could and she smelled like vanilla scented lotion and melon scented body wash and the pink bow in her hair matched her nail polish. "This place is huge."

"You'll get used to it."

I introduced her to Jacob and Garrett and she shook their hands with so much vigor I was sure they'd fall off. Jacob snatched her school map and threw it away, he said that it made her look like a freshman. Garrett scolded him before saying goodbye and shoving him down the hallway.

"Here," she handed me the gift box as I walked her to class. "I bought it yesterday."

It was a Rubik's cube, a 5x5 painted metallic colors on each side. "Cool, thanks."