|13|

"Mama, can I please go to bed now?"

"Not just yet, we aren't done, Sugar."

"How much longer then?"

"How about when you learn to dress the merchandise?"

"But-"

"What did I say about making excuses?"

"..if I'm not dying it's not important."

"Exactly, and I get to decide when you can sleep. Now, try again."

Her lips turned downward as she picked up a small plastic baggie, pouring a few spoonfuls of tiny crystals inside. She then sealed the top and placed it in a slightly bigger but still quite small white bag, a velvety material. Her mother handed her a thin strip of gold colored ribbon and smiled, "You can do it, don't worry."

Y/N swallowed and wrapped the ribbon around the opening of the white bag, then crossing the two ends and pulling one end under the 'x' and tightening it, causing the open end to scrunch closed.

The first step to making the signature golden bow was complete.

"Good, you're doing good." Her smile grew at the progress her little one was making.

The girl tried to remember what came next, staring into space while holding the two silky ends. As if it finally came to her, she made a loop with one end and then looked at the straight piece.

She took the strip and wrapped it around the base of the loop and paused.

...

She didn't do anything.

"Is everything alright, sugar?"

"..I cant remember what's next," She whispered and looked down at her lap.

The smile gracing her face slipped away like a wet bar of soap.

"Even after all this practice," She stood up from her chair abruptly, "You still can't tie a damn bow?" Her voice was the equivalent of scraping a chalkboard with a jagged rock near the end of her question.

"I-I can try again! Don't worry! I'll get it right this time!" The girl returned to work hastily, but her nervously shaking fingers made it even harder, resulting in another failed bow.

The girl gulped and set the bag and ribbon on the table in front of her, resting her hands in her lap and head hanging low in a submissive pose.