Chapter 25: Our New Jobs

I took my place next to Levi. "What were those things?"

"Not sure. I've read about them before but can't remember what they're called. Even Annabeth didn't know and she knows about almost every Greek monster. They're either rare or not Greek."

"So what does that mean?"

"They might be Norse."

"Okay... just focus on protecting us; don't let yourself get distracted."

I knew he meant Armin. Of course, he was my older brother. "I'll try." I went into battle mode. I had to protect each of these people with my life. The flare was fired, and we were off.

I don't recall most of what happened, but I do know a few monsters attacked. None of them were huge threats, and I just threw my daggers a couple of times and had to bend backward over Agro to pick them up. I got a few looks from Eren at first, but I didn't have time to throw smart comments at him. We got back safely with no lives lost.

Once we got back, we all went through the gate and received several strange looks. A guy in a priest's outfit ran up to us and screamed at us, "Our great goddess Sina! You have returned; you have answered our prayers! We welcome you, our fair goddess."

"You're only halfway there, buddy; I'm only half a goddess," I shouted to him.

"What? My fair goddess, we welcome you! Please accept your true identity!"

"I already have; I am half goddess-half mortal. In no part am I a wall," I tried to say seriously, but come on, he thought I was a fucking wall.

He looked confused. "Please leave my sister alone. She's trying to tell you the truth; she's a demigod. If you want to find a goddess, try Mount Olympus," Nico scolded, looking down at the man. He moved his horse between me and pastor-dude.

"You heard my brother. Leave her alone or else we'll get personal," Levi threatened.

Nico looked at Levi for a moment, clearly unsure of what to think. I knew it'd take a while for the whole brother thing to be comfortable, especially since Levi could have been our father by his mortal age. "Brother... strange," Nico said slowly, as if he was testing the word.

"We'll get used to it soon enough," Levi said. "And sister," he added. I smiled at him. We continued to the Scout's old headquarters. It was a stately piece of work even if it didn't provide much use in the middle of nowhere. We stayed there for a while.

I sat with my back to the wall, drawing on my left arm. Armin walked up and sat next to me. I didn't look up from my doodle immediately, and he poked my side. I poked him back, and we had a poking fight until he grabbed my hand gently. "Sina... the military police might not like you guys too much. They're going to be scared, really scared. Please just choose your words wisely and don't threaten them. After what they planned on doing to Eren, I..." I could see tears welling up in his eyes. They were close to spilling over.

"It'll be okay. We can be diplomatic. I'll save my sass for later, too, just for you." He didn't look very sure. I poked his arm. "You'll have to just deal with me when the sass comes later." I smiled, and he smiled back, even though the tears still threatened to leave his eyes. A single tear spilled, and I wiped it away with my thumb.

"I'm sorry I just-"

"Don't apologize. Crying is one of the best coping mechanisms for pain or stress. Trust me, I'm experienced."

He didn't say anything so I just stared into his eyes. He was thinking deeply; his irises seemed to be moving.

"Do you want a hug?" I asked him.

He didn't answer verbally, just leaned into me. His arms wrapped around me, and he laid his head on my shoulder.

"I-I... I l-I can't lose you now. I care about you so much; Mikasa does too."

"You won't lose me. If I can win over Dionysus when it counts, the military police will be nothing."

"Who?" he asked, not moving from my shoulder.

I rubbed circles into his back as I told him, "Dionysus doesn't like demigods very much because he was sent to be the head of camp as a punishment for something. He tells us he really doesn't care by intentionally calling us the wrong names; Annabeth is Annabelle, Percy is Peter, I'm Sarah."

"Tell me more, Sarah."

"Do not," I threatened, suppressing giggles.

"Okay, Sarah. I'll stop though, Sarah."

I laughed as I leaned back from him. I pushed his shoulder gently. "You're silly."

"And I always will be; I like it when you laugh and you're happy. It's the Sina I, ugh...knew there was."

"Is that our jobs? Make each other happy?"

"Yeah."

"Sweet." He leaned against my shoulder again.

"I wanna take a nap like this." He yawned and brushed his hair back from his eyes.

"But you're the pillow."

"Nah."

"Yeah."

"Nah."

And I was smiling at him again. I ran my fingers up his arm and shoulder. He closed his eyes peacefully but didn't fall asleep. The silence between us was comfortable though. I yawned and stretched my neck. I saw Jason leaning against a wall with a smirk.

Jason raised his hands and made a heart shape in front of his face so he saw us through it. I decided to show him my appreciation and ruin his moment by holding up my favorite finger.

After a few minutes, it was time to leave again.