Chapter 4: Nightmares

Will hooked an arm around me and another around Nico. He steered us to the Hades cabin.

We sat down and looked at each other, unsure of what to do or say.

[And this is the part when we realize we spend all our time together and can't really tell stories because the others were there.]

I put my hand on top of Nico's. It took thirty seconds for us all to get antsy from stress and ADHD. We decided to go train because that's always fun.

I practiced swordplay with Nico while Will observed us and made sure we didn't accidentally hurt each other. Nico was either unable to concentrate or holding back because I was a few milliseconds faster than him. I wasn't sure how long we were there before Will told us we should go back to our cabins.

Once we got outside, we realized he was right. The sun was sinking quickly. Will bid us goodnight with a quick hug for me and a kiss on the cheek for Nico. I smiled to myself, glad Nico was more comfortable with who he was and displays of affection. Somehow, it seemed to make the same easier for me.

Nico and I walked side by side to our cabin in a comfortable silence. We decided to go to bed early.

It took forever for me to fall asleep, and when I did, nightmares haunted my sleep. Typical.

I was in a grand palace room that was dark, shadowy, and definitely creepy, but it seemed familiar, strangely so. I knew I hadn't been there before. It wasn't a church or shelter or anything. I hadn't been there, but it felt so familiar...so comfortable.

The only way I can describe my feeling is the first time you stay up late in your living room. It looks mostly the same, but it's dark and shadowy. It's quiet too. It just seems different and creepy even though it's still familiar. Or a hospital you know well at night. I guess a school during break is the same because those are always creepy, but when it's silent it's just weird.

As I tried to remember anything about it, the voice rang through the throne room and filled my ears. As it spoke, it was more strained than ever and seemed to be full of pain and melancholy. It was like the speaker, possibly my father, was on the verge of tears.

"I'm so sorry. I haven't been good enough to you. I'm asking too much. I promise I'll help you however I can. I swear on the river of Styx!"

Suddenly, the strangest thing I've ever felt happened. I was falling up. I don't even know how to describe it. The bees in my brain were angrier than ever. I awoke with a start and grabbed my blankets, feeling like I was going to continue ascending.

I turned to Nico and saw he was in a deep sleep and wouldn't wake for hours. I found my charm bracelet watch. I looked at it for a second, remembering the day my mother gave it to me. I finally looked at the little clock which pointed to 2 and 5. It took me way too long to tell which hand was which. I felt really smart considering that I could see the sky turning paler in the east.

I rolled over sluggishly and pulled my blanket over me. 'Fuck me,' I thought to myself. There was no way my insomniac ass was going to fall back to sleep before breakfast. I stared up at the ceiling and shivered. I hated how cold the cabin was in the mornings.

OH MY FUCKING FUCK I'M AN IDIOT!

Realization smacked me in the face and that was my first thought. I remembered what the fricking voice said and where my dream had taken place! I frickin' frackin' remembered!