The Silver Guardian Bk. 01 Ch. 28

The Silver Guardian

By DaddyIrishman

A huge thank you to my editor Tex Beethoven for another amazing job and collaboration, thank you Tex you rock!!!

Book 1

Chapter 28

Lily and Dante pulled into their new driveway in front of their new garage at the Cabin. She was driving her truck, which was crammed to the gills with all kinds of stuff – furniture, food, clothing, electronics equipment – all needed so they could move into their totally refurbished home. Dante was driving his Chevelle, loaded full of whatever hadn't quite made it into the truck.

The Cabin looked amazing! The garage was large, a triple, and was set at an angle to the rest of the house. The right rear corner of the garage was attached to the left side of the house via a short mud room corridor (also new) that then proceeded into the main house. These new additions were clad by the same log construction as the rest of the Cabin, with a dark shingle roof on each.

As they performed a brief inspection tour of the outside, once they'd walked around to the left of the garage they could see another addition, this one on the back of the house. All new additions matched the rest of the log construction perfectly. They could see multiple small, wide windows up near the roofline and knew this was the nursery. These windows were bulletproof and too small for much of anything to fit through, but still large enough to provide plenty of natural light to the inside room. Dante acknowledged that the windows were a chink in the armor of a fully defensible fortress, but if they were breached in some hypothetical major attack, it would take time, allowing everyone inside to retreat to the unbreachable safety of a locked-down saferoom. Not that they were expecting any such attack of course, but Lily agreed with her mate that they wanted to be prepared for anything.

Dante knew that this rustic log façade, looking just like the exterior of many other houses in these mountains, was only camouflage for the reinforced walls they had designed and built.

Returning to the front of the house, they walked up the steps to the front porch and saw their new front door at the same time as the large stainless-steel Viking grill. This grill wasn't armor plated or anything, it was just for cooking; nevertheless, Dante knew it would see plenty of use: he looked forward to doing lots of outdoor grilling for Lily.

The front door didn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary save for the numeric keypad above the handle. It controlled an electronic lock so they wouldn't need to worry about keys, which could really slow someone down in an emergency. The initial code for entry was a 12-digit number that Dante or Lily could change at any time. However, one of Dante's projects for that weekend was to install software in the bank of computers inside and elsewhere so not only could he or Lily change the code remotely, they could also lock or unlock the door. They could even engage the Cabin's master lockdown feature, all using a computer inside, or his or Lily's smartphones. But that wasn't all: the lock had a tiny hidden camera connected to facial recognition software, so once Dante had programmed in Lily's and his faces, it would open instantly upon their approach. Another difference from an ordinary door was that it opened by sliding into the wall. Dante had developed his own secure app that he would be able to market a variant of to his customers, since he was just about ready to launch his security company. So this front door was far more sophisticated than was apparent.

The hardware and software on the inside of the door was virtually identical. Basically, if you didn't know the 12-digit code or weren't a preprogrammed authorized person or assisted by an authorized person, you couldn't leave the building. So for instance if you were a bad guy trying to escape an enraged Dante's wrath, you were in serious trouble.